temp trouble with mes 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ajb2320

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 13, 2010
I tried making sticks again tonight. Started at 130 and bumped temp up ten degrees every hr. I was up to 180 and my internal temp of the stick was only 128 after 9hrs of cooking. I checked with another another meat probe to make sure the one was working in the smoker and they both read very close to the same temp. Could my temp be wrong on the settings on the LCD of the actual smoker temp. Saying it is hotter than it actually says? I put the probe in the ting in the back left corner. I actually took the sticks out and they look very good nice and tight casings little shriveled up. But they look the way they should. What should do? Something is not right with the smoker.

I tried making sticks again tonight. Started at 130 and bumped temp up ten degrees every hr. I was up to 180 and my internal temp of the stick was only 128 after 9hrs of cooking. I checked with another another meat probe to make sure the one was working in the smoker and they both read very close to the same temp. Could my temp be wrong on the settings on the LCD of the actual smoker temp. Saying it is hotter than it actually says? I put the probe in the ting in the back left corner. I actually took the sticks out and they look very good nice and tight casings little shriveled up. But they look the way they should. What should do? Something is not right with the smoker.
Yes. My MES is off by more than 40* at certain temps. I use a Maverick ET 732 so that I know what temp my smoker is actually running at.

My MES 40 is off too

I have to set the controller to 211° to maintain 225° on the center racks

TJ

Ok thanks guys. Are you guys just going by tour maverick probes to set the right temps

Should I do it with food in it or can I do it empty

Would I be able to check the inside temp of the smoker with the probe that came with the mes. The one you would use for checking meat temps. Also I tried puttinga digital meat probe where the vent is thinking the internal temp of the smoker would be close to the same as the probe I stuck in the vent. I was looking at about a 25-30* difference. I thought it would be little closer than that. Or was I wrong?

Would need to place probe next to where the MES probe it located. Even then it most likely will be different as they are not coupled but should be close. If MES probe is in the middle and you're measuring at the vent there will be a significant difference in temps. Even between racks there will be a difference. The MES meat probe will give you the temp where it is located but make sure it's not touching the wall.

Should the mes probe read the same as the temp on the LCD ..example if I set the temp to cook at at 200 when the mes reaches 200 should the meat probe read 200 also if the temps are correct. I belive the probe is correct but I think the smoker temp is off. I checked the meat probe with another meat thermometer and they read the same.

They probably won't read the same. They aren't coupled and the MES box temps are known to be off. Mine is off as well. That's why I always go by my Maverick temp and adjust the set temp.

I ordered the maverick double probe Saturday. So you use one probe for box or mes temp and the otherfor the meat? Am I correct on that. And don't worry about what the LCD says on the box

It says food temp and Barbecue temp,
The barbecue I'd the smoker temp, comes with a mount that clips on to one of the smoker trays, they also make (sold Separate) a Hybrid probe, can be used for both

I ordered the maverick double probe Saturday. So you use one probe for box or mes temp and the otherfor the meat? Am I correct on that. And don't worry about what the LCD says on the box
If your using the maverick you will see first hand how far the LCD is on the smoker

Thanks. I new something was wrong when it was taking way to long to make beef sticks. I hope this does the trick

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky