Temp too high on first burn...help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

elvinl

Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Avondale, AZ
Need some advice...no mods on this thing yet.

Chargiller with SFB.

Fired up to burn off manufacture oils/wipe out with wrag, before I season my smoker and oil it down. Unable to keep temps below 248f. Had one chimney full of charcoal in the SFB...damper adjustments not bring down any lower. Using Redi-Check Smoker sender probe at grate level to monitor temps. Anyone have any ideas why this thing running so hot? Wondering if I should partial cover the inlet (football) between the SFB and smoke chamber...1/2 maybe?

Funny thing is, I expected temps to be on the low side and maybe have issues keeping temps up. At least after reading forums this past week on temp controls for this thing.

Last edited:
  I recently got a SFB and , after just a few tries, found that a water pan next to the inlet area helped to modify temp extremes. Hope that helps some, though I haven't used it but a few times. Strill learning it myself.

Mike

Watch that you don't use to much water if you are trying to dry things out on a longer smoke. You will end up boiling your food with steam instead of smoking. I'm sure some of  the more experienced users will give you an answer. Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys, any help good. After i get it seasoned i will be looking to try and get better results with heat management...i will let you all know how it went and results, thx.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky