Temp to cook Brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave from mesa

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 8, 2009
Mesa, az
Wife bought a 6# brisket. I think it is the flat part, not sure as this is my first one to smoke.

What temp should I cook it at? Should I wrap it in foil after about 4hrs? Wasn't planning on it but.....

Will cook it to 195-200.

Think I have everything else figured out but any other advice is welcome.

thanks for the help

people cook it from 200-250.  I prefer around 230 to cook it low and slow.  i've haven't wrapped one yet but alot of people do when it gets to 165-175.  its all personal preference...try it one way this time and another way the next.  see which you like better.

I cook mine in the 225-250 range and once it reaches around 165 internal temp I foil it and then pull it out at 195-205 depending on if I am going to pull it or slice it. There are some people who also do the high heat method and have success but I have never tried cooked in the 325+ degree temp. It cuts back on the time in the smoker but I am a low and slow kind of guy.

Not sure yet if I am going to foil it. If I do should I pot some kind of liquid in it?

I cook mine at 225 until it gets to 165-170, then foil with a little beer or beef broth. If your worried about it leaking just put it in an aluminum pan with foil top. Take it to 205, then wrap in towels & in dry cooler for a couple of hours. I leave the temp probe in it & when it drops down to around 165. I slice it.

At 6 lbs. it definately sounds like you have a flat.... and I would guess the butcher has trimmed all the fat of(?).

With flats they want to cook fast and have a tendency to remain a bit tough. Keep your temps as low as you can 200-210°, foil early at 150°-155°, and definately add either some beer or beef broth to the foil. Even though it is a smaller piece of meat it still needs time to break down and get tender, and because it is smaller it will want to come up to temp. faster before it has gotten tender. So do everything you can to keep it moist and give it as much time as you can.

So am I still looking at 1.5 hrs per pound?

There is a layer of fat but no a lot. Just checked and it is 6.7# and says "choice beef brisket, flat cut". Not sure if that tells you anything.

I was going to put a rub I use for ribs on it but in reading other posts it seems the best would be salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Would that be 1-1-1? Kind of leery of using too much salt as that has happened before and it isn't nice.

thanks again

Sure you can if........... You can figure out how to keep your temp steady without going up and down or cook inside of a bubble away from the elements of the great outdoos, which i dont suggest. Cookig times by the pound are only GUIDLINES. You need a good didgital thermometer. You could take two six pound briskets in the same pit and they will be different. Not trying to be ugly just to answer your question. Good luck.

Sure you can if........... You can figure out how to keep your temp steady without going up and down or cook inside of a bubble away from the elements of the great outdoos, which i dont suggest. Cookig times by the pound are only GUIDLINES. You need a good didgital thermometer. You could take two six pound briskets in the same pit and they will be different. Not trying to be ugly just to answer your question. Good luck.

That is great advice remember with a brisket you cook to temp not to time.

icon_cool.gif

I would say that you should smoke it at about 230-250° and that the brisket will smoke itself and on it's own time not yours.

Got the temp not time thing but with such a long cooking time it is nice to have a guideline. 

No offense taken (Not trying to be ugly just to answer your question).

Have a good (i think) wireless didgital thermometer. Am looking at putting it in at 6:00am so I would rather have it done early and put it wrapped up in a cooler than have to order pizza for 10 ppl.
icon_confused.gif

thanks

If you are worried about time issues, just put it in as early as possible. It could end up taking 2 hours per pound, sometimes they just take a long time. If it's done 4 or 5 hours early, it's ok, just keep in foil & wrap with towels & put in a dry cooler. It will stay hot for hours. As long as there is moisture in the foil it will not dry out. Most of the time a long time in the cooler just makes them more tender & juicy.

Got the temp not time thing but with such a long cooking time it is nice to have a guideline. 

No offense taken (Not trying to be ugly just to answer your question).

Have a good (i think) wireless didgital thermometer. Am looking at putting it in at 6:00am so I would rather have it done early and put it wrapped up in a cooler than have to order pizza for 10 ppl.
icon_confused.gif

thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky