Temp/rest/holding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqbrisket

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
North Jersey
I want to be able to holdover in cooler for 2 hours. At what stage (temp or doneness) should I pull brisket for hold over in cooler. Also, Should I open it up and rest it down to say 170 and then put in cooler for holdover for 2 hours?
Thanks

Cook it to doneness. Then sit it out on the counter, still wrapped, until the IT drops down to the 150 to 155 range. Then , if you need to hold it longer, put it in a cooler. But it will probably take 2 hours for the temp to drop.

Don't take it from your pit to the cooler. Carryover cooking has to stop and putting it in a cooler just keeps cooking it further.

Two hours is not a long holding time. And according to Aaron Franklin in his new book released a couple weeks ago, the brisket will not get any better after 2 hours rest. He also says to not unwrap the brisket until you're ready to serve.

Reactions: jcam222
Well, all meats will carryover cook to some extent, once pulled. But a cooler would extend carryover cooking too far.

Franklin actually says to let it rest on the counter, monitoring the IT, until it reaches 140 and then put it in a 140 oven. But not many of us have a 140 oven. He says they all won't cool at the same rate, they will vary depending upon the momentum of the cook when pulled.

Won’t it continue to cook on the counter unwrapped?
If so, do I have to take it out before it’s done?
If so, How to know when to pull?
Thanks

Unless you smoke 50 briskets every day, you or I are not going to be able to pull it at the perfect point where carryover cooking takes it to perfect doneness.

My suggestion, cook it till you think its done. Pull it. Sit it on the counter wrapped. Putting it into a cooler extends carryover cooking. We're trying to stop carryover cooking.

I would also suggest buying Aarons latest book. I think there's at least 13 pages on smoking brisket.

BTW, this is how I've rested my brisket. On the counter wrapped until it hits 150, then in the warming oven.

Last edited:
Here's a guy who worked at Franklin showing how to rest brisket. This is where I learned. Vid will start at the section on resting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky