temp probe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well let see if we can kind of get a few bullet points to live by:

First the four hour rule applies from the time it goes above 40 F so counter time counts.

Second, the probe insertion time is dependant on cooking method and cooking time. So I just always wait to insert because I have to standardize the method for HACCP.

So I always wait until the outer 1/2 inch has been above 140 F (135 F on the new code is now allowed) but this is because I concern myself with making prime rib and have to pull at 128 F. The second reason is low and slow cooking methods, those methods that may take longer than 4 hours total to go above 140 F (135 F new code) should not be pierced until the outside is above 140 F (135 F new code) So I wait on all meats since I usually have to go dig out the probe anyway.

Any meat ground, stuffed, sliced is not a ground product. Does not matter if you did it in your house or the butcher did it.

Sterilize the probe, wait til the meat outside is above the 135 F (now the new code) for 3/4 an hour before inserting.

Thank you for clarifying this once again again, bbally.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Dave

I too stick my probe it before placing the meat in the smoker.(I do wipe it off with a sanitary cleaner and Bleach water-DUDE). Makes sense to put as few holes in the meat as possible
PDT_Armataz_01_03.gif
. Plus, I stand by the "Theory" that one loses heat (along with pressure and moisture), each time the smoker is opened.Thus the Meat weight/Temp./time estimates-notice I said estimate.If you have a well sealed smoker,and all is running at 'your' chosen heat,leave the lid closed! If you're lookin';you're not cookin'!!!
Just sayin'.....
SMOKE HAPPY
Stan aka Old School

You can't open your smoker one more time to insert the probe after the outside 1/2" rises above 140° without messing up your temps of your smoker?
biggrin.gif
Do you ever mop/spritz or foil??

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky