Temp issues on GMG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Ottawa, ON
I've had some really good smoked on my GMG, but was always sceptical about the temperature gauge.

If I set it at 350, the grill and the app WILL NOT BUDGE from displaying that temp, even though I know that there will be some natural fluctuations in temperature.

So this time I also used my Weber iGrill to keep track of temperature. As it turns out, the grill runs about 15 -20 degrees hotter than what I set it at, sometimes even hotter.

I had the temp on the grill set at 340, then adjusted it to 350 and as soon as I hit “ok” on the app, I got a pop up saying that my desired temp had been reached. Which means that the grill was running hotter than what I had it set at, but didn’t display it or make any adjustments to bring the temp down.

Do I need to calibrate something? Does the grill not display actual temperature swings? Or does it just display the temp I set it at?

I hope this all made sense. The second pic is missing the first “3” digit, sorry, taking pics of it is strange...
26060F74-03E4-4EAF-8843-C2A95AFD8F1C.jpeg
97BBF3EB-AD8A-43E2-9D6D-BA767131F297.jpeg

Use the app to download latest firmware, takes about 1 minute to do. Ensure heat sensor is clean.

the new firmware allows calibrations, works really well.

the app also shows real time temps, very handy.

Last edited:
I take it you have one of the wifi ones? Mine isn't, but I've taken to never trusting what the electronic displays say, no matter what smoker I use. I always use separate remote probes to keep track of the smoker temps.

I cant help with your issue - no experience with GMG.

BUT welcome back from the winter hiatus! Hope your are thawing out.

Random thought but I have run this test on my Pit Boss in the past. Is the iGrill probe right next to the GMG probe? I noticed on my grill that different areas are at different temps. Might be worth moving the iGrill probe around a bit if you haven't tried that yet.

Reactions: jmtyndall
This is just the nature of the beast. At time it will run cooler too. Overall, the average temp will be close to the “range” you set it to.
Try running your probes in your kitchen oven. You may be surprised at the results. Ymmv

Reactions: jmtyndall
I've had some really good smoked on my GMG, but was always sceptical about the temperature gauge.

If I set it at 350, the grill and the app WILL NOT BUDGE from displaying that temp, even though I know that there will be some natural fluctuations in temperature.

So this time I also used my Weber iGrill to keep track of temperature. As it turns out, the grill runs about 15 -20 degrees hotter than what I set it at, sometimes even hotter.

I had the temp on the grill set at 340, then adjusted it to 350 and as soon as I hit “ok” on the app, I got a pop up saying that my desired temp had been reached. Which means that the grill was running hotter than what I had it set at, but didn’t display it or make any adjustments to bring the temp down.

Do I need to calibrate something? Does the grill not display actual temperature swings? Or does it just display the temp I set it at?

I hope this all made sense. The second pic is missing the first “3” digit, sorry, taking pics of it is strange...View attachment 439946View attachment 439947
I just got a GMG Jim bowie prime wifi. I have been trying simple stuff and it's been OK, but did a brisket this weekend and the temperature deviations across the grill surface are terrible. This is the worst. A 30 degree difference from the point to the end of the flat. How can you build a 900$ grill and have a 30 to 40 degree variation across the grill surface from left to center. My old Treager never deviated more than 10 degrees across the surface and not from than 20 degrees of swing either way from the set temp. The GMG is unusable and will only ruin the proteins you have spent a lot of money on and kill the family dinner you just spent the last 14 hours on. I want my money back.

Attachments

• 15914681594825689716630674991528.jpg
    15914681594825689716630674991528.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 15914682024503497183002806126052.jpg
    15914682024503497183002806126052.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 11
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky