Temp control on MES Digital 30"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jsk53

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 7, 2013
Green Valley, Az
New to smoking and bought an MES 30 for my first smoker. Using it for the 2nd time, first time using my Maverick wireless thermometer set. I have my smoker set at 235 degrees which it seems to hold fairly well according to the control box thermometer. My Maverick however fluctuates wildly from 199 to 250 and never really settling down to a constant temp.

Not sure which thermometer to believe and I find it hard to believe that the temp is fluctuating that much in the smoker. Any suggestions on how to get control over this? Thanks.

Thanks. They don't appear to be kinked and are plugged in all the way. I anticipated that the onboard thermometer in the MES would probably be off. Looked initially reading about 10 degrees hotter than the Maverick was reading. The MES seems to hold pretty steady and the Maverick bounces around. Seems to have stabilized a bit but still seems like more movement than is actually happening. I'll triple check the cables.

Jeff

Had a coupke do that to me over time. .... one was just a probe that had gone bad. Replaced it and it was good to go. Maybe you got one bad out of the box. Or you might want to reverse the probe ports and see if the probe bounces around in the other port or the port is bad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky