Tasty Chicago Pizza FAIL!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Don't give up so quick. Most of the issues have already been covered but I'll mention some again.
The dough for deep dish is MUCH different than for other styles. It is more like a biscuit so don't use any high gluten flour. It also has lots of oil. No need to par bake and only use a small amount of butter on the bottom, not the sides. Baking with all of the ingredients together will keep the dough in place.

Here's a great place to start: https://www.realdeepdish.com/deepdishholygrail/

I've turned out many great deep dish pies based on the formula from that site. I still prefer New York style, but deep dish is so quick and easy to make. Here's an example of a recent pie I made.

View attachment 484352
I couldn't remember who made the pies that I saw a few months ago thank you for the tips and reposting.
I have the perfect deep dish pan I got it from a friend that delivered cheese and meats to pizza joints around town. It's 20''+ across 2'' high sides and its seasoned black as can be.
We prefer Naples style but I for sure will give this a go again until I figure it out. I'm saving this link.
Thank you.
Dan

It's 20''+ across 2'' high sides and its seasoned black as can be.

Yeow! is that the pan you used for this? A 20 inch pan is huge - more than twice the area of the 14" pan I use. I would suggest starting off with something smaller if you try again. More than 14" will be difficult to handle. Here's the one I use: Amazon.com: Chicago Metallic Deep Dish Pizza Pan, 14-Inch diameter: Kitchen & Dining

The realdeepdish site lists the formula's for various size pans, last page here: https://www.realdeepdish.com/RDDHolyGrail.pdf

Reactions: forktender
And for reference, for a 14" pie I use:

21 oz sliced mozzarella
1 lb Italian Sausage
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes, drained (I use the juice for Bloody Mary's!)
1/2 grated parmesan Reggiano
1/2 pack pepperoni

Last edited:
And for reference, for a 14" pie I use:

21 oz sliced mozzarella
1 lb Italian Sausage
1 28oz can crushed tomatoes, drained (I use the juice for Bloody Mary's!)
1/2 grated parmesan Reggiano
1/2 pack pepperoni
I was guessing at the size its actually a 16'' pan.
Hahaha, I use the drained off juice for bloody mary's as well either that or tomato beers.:emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky