Tasso Time 2nd Try!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nawlinsborn73

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
So my first try at Tasso wasn't a complete failure but I wouldn't call it a success either. The taste was really good, BUT I put way too much cayenne in it(yes there is such a thing even if you are from Louisiana). Another thing that wasn't great was that I used too lean of a cut of pork. I used a boneless picnic shoulder(not pork butt). It may have worked better using this cut if I wouldn't have taken it to an IT of 160. It was close to pork jerky, but not quite. Here is that thread:

Today I started with 2 coppa muscles instead. They are easier to get here in the Philippines than pork butt thanks to the popularity of Korean BBQ joints. This time I used a slightly different seasoning mix but made sure that the cayenne wasn't over the top. Also, I sliced it thicker than last time

So here is the 2nd edition. 9.5lbs going into a dry cure for maybe 10 days. I promise to update this thread with more pics after the smoke

Attachments

• IMG_8234.JPG
    IMG_8234.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8237.JPG
    IMG_8237.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8238.JPG
    IMG_8238.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 12
Well here is the update.....It's amazing. So much better than the first try. I'm glad that I took notes and wrote the exact recipe down.

Smoked it starting at 180 until IT of 130 then turned up the heat to 225 until IT of 150. I then sous vide it at 162 for 2 hours.

No more tasso jerky!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8243.JPG
    IMG_8243.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8246.JPG
    IMG_8246.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8247.JPG
    IMG_8247.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8253.JPG
    IMG_8253.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: BigW.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky