Tappecue AirProbe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This is my concern as well to be honest. I know they have a small battery in it and this is my question on how long they will last. I know I have had these for some time and they still function well.
My Meater has worked well in my Big Joe over some fairly high heat, so I don't really think that would be much of a problem My worry with my Meater probe is the battery inside the probe wearing out and also the fact that it's not water proof. The internal temps with my Meater are fairly accurate but the external air temp can vary, depending on where the probe is located. The Tappecue probe is not only supposed to be water proof but claims to not have an internal battery. I really don't see how this could work without a battery inside though. I mainly use my Meater for Joetisserie cooks, I have Inkbird remote thermometers for my non Joetissery cooks and sometime I have two different meats on the same spit rod, cooking to different internal temps. I was looking at getting the Meater plus to monitor a second meat, so this came up at a good time for me. Mine will be here Monday, so I will have to get it checked out.
Battery is a concern I didn’t even think of. Do they offer any insight as to how long it lasts? I assume it’s not replaceable? Moisture was my biggest concern. I do like to cook with pans of broth in the smoker creating a moist environment. My experience with wired probes is fairly frequent failure. I do find they usually fail within a few cooks if they are going to fail. Moisture proof wired probes would be a million dollar invention for sure. Wireless too if the battery life isn’t an issue.

Just ordered one. We'll see how it goes. I have to say that the smartphone software on the Meater looked much easier, but the best price I could find for that was 1/3 more for 1 probe, even with discounts.

Looks cool. May have to check them out. And that plated pic got me wanting to do a summer Thanksgiving dinner.
Jim

I was on the fence with this because I have all these thermometers already. But I went and got one for their ability to use it in the IP cooker and rotisserie. They are having a 10% off fathers day sale going on as well. I just got one for now.

I also decided to give it a try and ordered one. I tried mine out on two different cooks, on my Timberline and my Big Joe and I am very disappointed with it. I have the original Meater and primarily ordered this one for the supposed extended Bluetooth range. Maybe mine is a defective unit but it has almost no Bluetooth range, even less than my Meater. I have to stand with my phone right next to the grill to get a connection. I was also disappointed in the wifi. I can't figure out what it's for, you can't connect to the probe with it, at least I haven't figured out how. I am not happy with the way this probe was presented in their advertising and I wouldn't recommend anyone getting one.

I also decided to give it a try and ordered one. I tried mine out on two different cooks, on my Timberline and my Big Joe and I am very disappointed with it. I have the original Meater and primarily ordered this one for the supposed extended Bluetooth range. Maybe mine is a defective unit but it has almost no Bluetooth range, even less than my Meater. I have to stand with my phone right next to the grill to get a connection. I was also disappointed in the wifi. I can't figure out what it's for, you can't connect to the probe with it, at least I haven't figured out how. I am not happy with the way this probe was presented in their advertising and I wouldn't recommend anyone getting one.

That's not encouraging. Were you able to return it with no issues? Did you reach out to them for support?

For me, it's not worth the trouble to try and return it and no I haven't reached out to them. I just chalked it up to experience trying a new unproven product.

Just ordered one. We'll see how it goes. I have to say that the smartphone software on the Meater looked much easier, but the best price I could find for that was 1/3 more for 1 probe, even with discounts.
Ordered one, will see how it works!
I was on the fence with this because I have all these thermometers already. But I went and got one for their ability to use it in the IP cooker and rotisserie. They are having a 10% off fathers day sale going on as well. I just got one for now.

Ret they are great folks over there and will take care of you if you contact them.

Has anyone else used them and what are your thoughts?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky