Tandoori chicken on a kamado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I also slashed the chicken. Wife prefers dark meat, so...
Yours sound way mor aithentic. Would love the recipe for the spice blends. And, I’m intreagued by the Kashmiri chilies. I’m a chilie head but and not familiar with those. Hot?. Scovilles? My favorite chilie is a habanero. I know there are lots hotter, but I like their flavor.

cooker613, I got back to you about the Kashmiris but got carried away with travel over the past couple weeks and forgot to respond to your other request. See below.

Tandoori Poultry Marinade

2 cups full fat Greek yogurt, goat’s milk preferred
2 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. smoked paprika, Pimenton de La Vera preferred
1 tsp. annatto seeds (achiote), finely ground
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
2-3 dried Kashmiri red chiles, stemmed
1 small red onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2” piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
3 Tbs. lemon juice

Toast then grind the coriander and cumin seeds. In a food processor or blender, blend all marinade ingredients to a smooth paste.

Garam Masala

Yields about ½ cup

1 cinnamon stick (2 ½ to 3 inches long), broken into pieces
2 dried bay leaves
1/4 cup cumin seeds
1/3 cup coriander seeds
1 Tbs. green cardamom pods
1 Tbs. whole black peppercorns
2 tsp. whole cloves
1 tsp. black mustard seeds
1 small dried Kashmiri red chile, stemmed
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
1/8 tsp. ground mace

Heat the cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cardamom pods, peppercorns, cloves, mustard seeds, and chile in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the cumin seeds darken to a deep, toasty brown color, 2 to 3 minutes—the spices may crackle and smoke a bit. Immediately transfer to a plate or bowl to cool. Add the nutmeg and mace, and grind the spices in a spice grinder to a fine powder, working in batches if necessary. Garam masala can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 months.

cooker613, I got back to you about the Kashmiris but got carried away with travel over the past couple weeks and forgot to respond to your other request. See below.

Tandoori Poultry Marinade

2 cups full fat Greek yogurt, goat’s milk preferred
2 tsp. coriander seeds
1 tsp. cumin seeds
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. smoked paprika, Pimenton de La Vera preferred
1 tsp. annatto seeds (achiote), finely ground
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
2-3 dried Kashmiri red chiles, stemmed
1 small red onion, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2” piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
3 Tbs. lemon juice

Toast then grind the coriander and cumin seeds. In a food processor or blender, blend all marinade ingredients to a smooth paste.

Garam Masala

Yields about ½ cup

1 cinnamon stick (2 ½ to 3 inches long), broken into pieces
2 dried bay leaves
1/4 cup cumin seeds
1/3 cup coriander seeds
1 Tbs. green cardamom pods
1 Tbs. whole black peppercorns
2 tsp. whole cloves
1 tsp. black mustard seeds
1 small dried Kashmiri red chile, stemmed
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (preferably freshly grated)
1/8 tsp. ground mace

Heat the cinnamon, bay leaves, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cardamom pods, peppercorns, cloves, mustard seeds, and chile in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the cumin seeds darken to a deep, toasty brown color, 2 to 3 minutes—the spices may crackle and smoke a bit. Immediately transfer to a plate or bowl to cool. Add the nutmeg and mace, and grind the spices in a spice grinder to a fine powder, working in batches if necessary. Garam masala can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 months.

Wow that looks fantastic! Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky