Taking my smoker on a major move!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jjwdiver

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands
Been toying with the idea that maybe a life change was in order for my wife and me. Well, today we got the news we had been praying  for. At the end of November, we will (hopefully) have sold just about everything we own and are moving to St. John USVI.  Pretty big change from the frozen tundra of Minnesota.

In all of the talking about it...the major thing I demanded (ok, I whined about it) was that my Cookshack smoker makes the move too.  We fly to the island on Tuesday the 12th to see the place we're going to be living at as on-site caretakers. We have seen pics of the villa, but not the caretakers place.  Kinda feel like Steve Martin in "The Jerk"...all I need is my smoker, and this lamp, and my bird, and that's all....

Did some online searches and couldnt find much on smoking woods, then learned that the USPS flat rate boxes are good for St. John - so I'm pre-packing several boxes of wood chunks to ship to myself.  That should be interesting, but will be good to have the wood variety on the island for smoking.

Anyone know if there are "exotic" woods for smoking that I can get there?

John

Well congrats is in order, but as soon as you move you will have earned yourself the biggest U-Suck award ever. I Love the islands, and so wish I was in your shoes. LMAO, the last time I was there, a guy on the corner said he had the best stuff to smoke of all time. Not sure if that kind of smoking is real good for the meat tho. Please keep us posted as things progress.

icon_cool.gif

Well I have to give it to you for the stick to it ness. Now you have really covered all your bases that's for sure. Good Luck on your upcoming smokes.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That is incredible for you. Man I am jealous. We ae gonna need some qview of the new digs for sure

Make sure you get back on this forum real quick Too !

I'm too old to go to a place named "The Virgin Islands".

Now when I was younger?---No problem!

Best of luck,

Bear

Thanks for the well wishes. It's a pretty incredible opportunity for sure!  I'll post the q once there and set up, but get to see it next week for a 1 week visit. Nothing like agreeing to a life change sight-unseen!  Did I mention the villa was on an episode of House Hunters International!

Congratulations John, the Lord knows how to give good gifts to His children, you will be amazed at all of the "tropical" woods that are available for smoking.  There are many different kinds of fruit in the tropics, mango, guava, breadfruit, eye of dragon, ramboution, logan, just to name a few, you might try a google image search on tropical fruits, that will give you an idea of how many are available.

I see you have a Cookshack, I'm not familiar with that smoker, but it's an electric smoker isn't it, you might want to check and see if there is the correct voltage while you are there, they might not have 110VAC and if they do have 220VAC make sure it's American and not European.

Enjoy your new ministry,

Gene

Wow! Moving to the Virgin Islands? Take me! Take me! And you are moving from Minnesota too, man, are you in for some culture shock, but hopefully in a good way! Best of luck and I really can't wait to see some pictures! Don't forget about us!

I may be absent for a month or 2 but I cant forget this place!  Got to broaden my horizons and this is the place to do it!!!!!   Sorry Squirrel, wife may not like the addition.  JPT...you got me excited about the possibilities of different fruit woods.  As for smokin in the flip flops - as they say in Minnesota - You Betcha!

On a side note, might be diving for meals on occasions too so that may add to the list of smoked foods.  Of course...with plenty of qview!  

Funny how things work out when you're at the end of the rope and all I needed to do was trust...and (IMHO) the lord delivered this to us.

The end of a rope, been there a few times, He always comes through, "promotion doesn't come from the East or the West, but from the Lord."

No worries about flip-flops, I smoke bare footed!  LOL  Another thing, take lots of shorts, I haven't worn pants in 20 years, and nature's fish market, they do real well cooked in banana leaves and oh so yummie, cultural shock, yes, but I look at it as a new adventure with many possibilities, the mistake I've seen is Americans try to live like they are in America, we are their guests and we need to respect that fact, ...the low and slow aspect of our hobby overflows into their life style, it will be a great test of patience.

I'm excited for you, keep in touch...,

Gene

Been on St. John for almost a week to check out the new digs and get the job squared away. More work than I'm used to, but the benefits outweigh the work  by a huge margin.  Here is a pick of the view from "home", which will be more permanent at the end of November.

I live in Thailand and use a lot of Mango to smoke with.  Some of the other fruit woods that I tried I didn't like.

Charlie

Awesome Pics !

I certainly hope you post more after you get settled in, and have some time!

That view is breathtaking!

Did you see the "virgins" yet?

Bear

How do you get around on the Island?  Golf cart type vehicle, scooter, car?????  Inquiring minds want to know!  Looks like a beautiful part of the world!  Wish you the best!  If you run out of Hickory or Pecan, give a holler.  Would love to personally deliver some!  Maybe a trade,  Box of seasoned wood for a box of Lobster or Mangoes?

Last edited:
Lets see....   we leave here on Tuesday, back mid November to start the job for real, fully entrenched by mid December.  As for getting around the island - 4 wheel drive vehicles due to the steep inclines and especially if wet.  I'd love to try mango...we have some fruit trees on the property, but I'll need to learn what they are.  Virgins...I think they ran away long ago!  

I'll definitely post more pics when we get settled. I have only seen the view driving from the ferry to here, hardware store to here, and 1 trip to St. Thomas that I got lost doing.

Wanted to update my smoking friends on here. Sad day Saturday as I sold my smoker. Couldnt bear to have it in storage and couldnt ship it to the island. I leave Friday and will be getting an Amaze-N shipped to me after I get there so at least I wont be without smoked foods.  Sucked watching someone else drive off with my smoker!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky