Taco Meat Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Da Yum!
You got my gears turning for a different pork sausage.

Do you think the Chimayo chili powder makes that much of a difference?
All prepared chili powder is really lacking in cumin for my taste.

Was the steaming needed or would have straight on the pellet been ok?

Web lesson. To get a degree symbol ° Hold down the Alt key and type 0176.

I live in a heavy Scandinavian region. The local potato sausage is run through 1/4" to almost emulsify. It is not not favorite due to the mouth feel and is really lacking in flavor due to what we call "Minnesota Bland".
I was raised on red and green Chile it’s as common on my table as salt and pepper. As to the Chimayo Chile, yes it is the most flavorful and delicious red I’ve ever eaten, as to weather or not it’s needed in this sausage, probably not as the roasted green is the star, in true New Mexican tradition I like “Christmas “ which is both red and green together.

As to the steaming step. Two days ago I made some German white sausage (weisswurst) I cooked those in the steamer first then went to the grill. I was blown away as to how tender the casing (hog) was. Almost could tell there was a casing. I’ve started to finish all of my smokehouse sausages in the SV, and what a big difference the water makes on the casing. I could have went straight to the grill with these, but I’m liking a steam or poaching these days on sausage at some stage in the cooking process.

As to the potatoes not being ground, yes most all potato sausage recipes grind the potatoes, I knew going in that wasn’t what I wanted. I wasn’t sure how they would flow through the stuffer so I added a couple of beaten eggs to to meat batter which slicked everything thing up nicely and it flowed perfectly through the stuffer, I won’t change anything there.

That looks like a great plate of food. Love the consistency of the beans

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. The beans and Tri-tip were leftovers. When I cook my beans, towards the end I go in with a potato masher and break up about 1/4 of the beans. This give great bean flavor and if left to simmer this thickens the beans up and give a thicker consistency.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Those are some really good looking sausages Eric. Sausage making is one of the things I've yet to delve into. Even though I have most of the equipment.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Love the chunky texture. Maybe a larger casing for your desired texture?
Which color potatoes did you use in the mix?
How did you mix the blend before stuffing?

Yesterday had lunch at a sausage specialty restaurant. I ordered a cheddar jalapeno.
The mix was not well. First bite was 100% jalapeno. I like heat but it was gagging. Rest of the sausage was OK, but will not order again.

Those are some really good looking sausages Eric. Sausage making is one of the things I've yet to delve into. Even though I have most of the equipment.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris, I do appreciate it. I hope you give the craft a try, it is very rewarding.

So insane! That looks and sounds incredible, I think it’s funny that I’d pay good money for that and you’re still tweaking! Ever the perfectionist🤣 Such a creative and cool sausage!

Love the chunky texture. Maybe a larger casing for your desired texture?
Which color potatoes did you use in the mix?
How did you mix the blend before stuffing?

Yesterday had lunch at a sausage specialty restaurant. I ordered a cheddar jalapeno.
The mix was not well. First bite was 100% jalapeno. I like heat but it was gagging. Rest of the sausage was OK, but will not order again.
Casing size could be larger, maybe beef middles (42mm) or potatoes could be diced a little smaller. These were Yukon golds, our favorite.

I mixed the spices in the meat until I had good protein extraction then I added a couple beaten eggs mixed that in then added potatoes last and gently folded those in until dispersed well then into the stuffer.

Sounds like the sausage you had was not mixed well. First impression is everything.

Reactions: Fueling Around
So insane! That looks and sounds incredible, I think it’s funny that I’d pay good money for that and you’re still tweaking! Ever the perfectionist🤣 Such a creative and cool sausage!
Thank you Jed.
The sausage is close to where it needs to be and is very good as is, just not where it needs to be. At some point I’m going to try mixing in a little Masa Harina for that corn taste, but not until I nail a couple other things down first.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky