Table salt in sausage recipes.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mohntr

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 24, 2006
Catawissa MO
I've read where you shouldn't use iodized salt. I've read it changes the taste of the sausage and leaves a bitter after taste. Table salt is all I've ever used so I don't know.

If a recipe calls for salt, are they normally talking about non-iodized?

More salt questions - are pickeling, kosher and coarse salt basically the same?

I never knew salt could be so confusing!! :!: Or is it just me?

Canning and Pickling Salt is a pure granulated salt which does not contain potassium iodide, dextrose or an anti-caking agent. Pure salt no additives.

Table salt - or iodized salt contains potassium iodide, and dextrose to stabilize the iodide and calcium silicate which is an anti-caking agent. The anti-caking agent is not water-soluble so it may produce clouding.

I believe this is just another of those myths with just a tad bit of truth mixed in. Long ago we didn't have the options we have today. They didn't even have iodized salt in the US until 1924. The iodide was added to reduce the incidence of simple goiter. Dextrose is added to stabilize the iodide. Iodine is vital to the proper functioning of the thyroid gland and the prevention of goiter.

Hope this helps!

Mo, table salts contain iodine, and it's the iodine that causes the after taste. If you look hard enough, you can find non-iodized salt. If a recipe call for "salt" they are refering to regular table salt. If the recipe calls for sea salt or kosher salt the recipe will state the type of salt needed.

I have seen the regular non-iodized salt. Should I use that in place of the table salt if it's not specified.

Thanks for the replies@

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky