Switched from foil to peach paper

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cheflusk420

Original poster
Nov 5, 2020
Finally switched over to peach paper for our briskets. Been doing them on tbt Myron Mixon till I hit about 160 then finishing them in our oven inside at 250 till done. Those were being wrapped in foil. Now that I have peach paper I realize it will take longer in the oven correct ? Any tips or tricks out there for a newly converted peach paper lover

The seal on paper is not as tight, so yes your tender time is a little longer, but the bark is better. For sure put the wrapped brisket on a tray if you finish in the oven. And if you have 'convection setting' I would use that.

I live at 5400' elevation (water boils at 203° at my house) so paper does not work as well on the big meats as foil does. At a lower elevation you can get a higher temp inside a paper pouch. Be sure and report back with your findings.

The seal on paper is not as tight, so yes your tender time is a little longer, but the bark is better. For sure put the wrapped brisket on a tray if you finish in the oven. And if you have 'convection setting' I would use that.

I live at 5400' elevation (water boils at 203° at my house) so paper does not work as well on the big meats as foil does. At a lower elevation you can get a higher temp inside a paper pouch. Be sure and report back with your findings.
Will do unfortunately I have to use our conventional oven as our convection is awaiting some new parts for correct and accurate temp settings. Thanks

That is very interesting. Remember seeing the boil stuff, never thought of steam temps.

Finally switched over to peach paper for our briskets. Been doing them on tbt Myron Mixon till I hit about 160 then finishing them in our oven inside at 250 till done. Those were being wrapped in foil. Now that I have peach paper I realize it will take longer in the oven correct ? Any tips or tricks out there for a newly converted peach paper lover
I've done both . I like the paper the best . I don't notice a big difference in time .

Reactions: MJB05615 and TNJAKE
I've done both . I like the paper the best . I don't notice a big difference in time .
Shit. My time has extended by quite a bit. Might have the oven a tad low but they were in tbt stall for a good while. Hoping for good results. I found foil to be quicker on the second cook

I wrap mine around 180 . Run the oven at 225 . Maybe the higher temp wrap makes the difference .

Switched to paper a couple of months ago (when I found some locally) and won't go back. Night and day difference with bark ! And was really surprised with the amount of moisture it can hold.
Only thing I"m having to get use to is probing thru the paper. It's a lot tougher than the foil

Good luck getting your convection oven to work at the correct temps.
I've bought two new electric ovens in the last 7 years and the temp accuracy in both (Sears elite and GE) are way off.
Replacing the temp sensor bulbs and adjusting/tinkering with the software settings failed to make them cook at the temps displayed on the control panel.

I switched to the Paper 2 years ago and never looked back. Before it I got no bark, after starting it, I got excellent bark. Please keep us posted.

And was really surprised with the amount of moisture it can hold.
Only thing I"m having to get use to is probing thru the paper. It's a lot tougher than the foil

Yea, the probe thru the paper. Makes it harder to feel.
I usually wrap about 155-160 just as it enters the stall.
Make sure you wrap tight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky