Sweet italian sausage using rabbit.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

checkdude

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 1, 2016
winnipeg. canada
My sons wife raises rabbits for meat and needed to thin the herd. Ended up bringing home 6 rabbits. Had couple in freezer already so what to do? Make
sausage ! Decided on italian since i had none already made .Besides who does not like italian sausages? 20210113_160332.jpg Got couple out
to thaw two days ago. It took a while to debone but not as bad as i was thought. 20210113_160450.jpg Got my spices ready while the meat was
in the freezer chilling. Only got 2 1/2 lbs. from the 2 rabbits so got 1 lbs. chicken breast out and 1 1/2 lbs. pork back fat. 20210113_161325.jpg All nice and stiff, ready to grind. 5 lg. batch does not take long. 20210113_161940.jpg
Put it in the fridge while i clean up then mix all together. Forgot my gloves and my hands sure were aching. But got it done and stuffed. 20210113_164850.jpg In the fridge overnight then partialy freeze before vac seal . Was little left in the stuffer so fry it up for snack. Darn tasty. I will post the spice list if anyone is interested. Cheers!

Your sausage looks great! I love rabbit! Used to raise California a few years back. Been getting things ready to start back up again this spring now that my oldest boy is old enough to raise them.

Some good looking links, nice piece of work, Like! Mixing cold meat with bare hands is a killer. RAY

Great looking sausages. I too love rabbit! go ahead and post up that recipe....
For 5 lbs.
36 g. Salt
30g. Sugar (used 2 tb.)
18g. Fennel
10g. Black pepper
1g. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. A nice
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/2 cup white wine
Thank you all for the likes.

CD, Sounds and looks good, I've never had or heard of rabbit sausage!
Well...I haven't before too. Ate many rabbits but prepared diferent ways. The flavor is mild,white meat like chicken. Since I had abundance of rabbits to play with ...why not?
Just not good planing on my part. Should have taken out 3 rabbits instead of 2. Still need good amount of fat . After tasting it I couldn't detect any strange flavor. It's just really nice italian sausage taste. I like it very much.

Back in the early 1970’s after getting out of the Army a few of the guys rented an old farm house. Coming down the half mile drive after a late night of carousing we thought we were hallucinating; great big rabbits all over! They must have kept rabbits on the farm at one time and they got out and turned wild. Well, we had a second floor reloading room and bench rest. One of the guns was a 40XB in 6mm. With that 28” bull barrel you could hit a 50 cent piece every time at 100 yards. A steady supply of head shot rabbits!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky