Sweet and sour cabbage with bratwurst

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Yesterday I was working on making patties with 10 lbs. of breakfast sausage and 10 lbs. of German bratwurst. With two lbs. of brat left to patty I started thinking of ways to not make patties out of the last two lbs. I did still have a full head of cabbage I had gotten for $0.49 that I need to use up. So I started what I often do in the kitchen, winging it :)

Two lbs. of German bratwurst going into the skillet to be browned and crumbled. Credit to Polka Polka in this thread for the brat recipe. We love it! My buddy cooked some for his wife who never likes brats and she devoured it. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bratwurst-recipe-and-seasonings.276580/

bratwurstbulk.jpg

I sliced up a nice sized yellow onion in nice bigger pieces. While the bratwurst browns I sauteed the onions in some avocado oil.
onion.jpg

Now its time to add in the coarse chopped head of cabbage. I added a bit of the grease from the bratwurst Frying it down good before adding meat and sauce mixture .
adding cabbage.jpg

Time to add in the browned bratwurst now. Along with that I am adding approximately 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 1/3 cup stone ground mustard, I simmered this until the cabbage was nice and tender. When it was almost finished I added in 1/4 to 1/3 cup of Splenda.

adding in brat and broth.jpg

This is the finished product garnished with a little extra caraway seeds Smells awesome.

Need something to serve with this so going to the Swiss and rye chaffles. I made them last week for brat sandwiches and they were delicious. Here is the batter which is 2 cups of shredded Swiss cheese, 4 eggs, 4 teaspoons caraway , 1 teaspoon baking powder and an 1/4 teaspoon salt
chaffle batter.jpg

1/4 cup at a time into the mini waffle maker until browned.

waffle in iron.jpg

Nice platter of the chaffles ready to go with a mustard and black pepper aioli. Didn't really measure for this just some stone ground mustard, mayo and a heavy hit of coarse black pepper.
chaffle platter.jpg

Plating some up for the boss :) Adding some shredded Swiss to the top of the sweet and sour cabbage with bratwurst. Serving with a couple of the warm chaffles , the mustard pepper aioli and to add a little color raided the fridge and found some roasted red pepper and feta. Hit that with a little oregano and black truffle oil. Not a great fit for the meal but does add color and my wife loves stuff like that lol.
plated meal .jpg

Thanks for looking!! She did enjoy this quite a bit, enough that she's eating it again tonight.

Looks Great. We like Cabbage in a variety of ways. I slow down and cook the Cabbage and Onions over med/low heat, until the Natural Sugars come out and caramelize. The whole deal gets softened and has a light golden brown color. The flavor is sweet and mellow. It's not Splenda Sweet but is sweet enough that a splash of Vinegar gives a nice balance...JJ

Reactions: jcam222 and DanMcG
Again thanks for the recipe ideas. I guess I need a waffle iron now.
Can you get chaffles to have a firm texture like a well cooked waffle, yours look soft and pliable, but I'm not sure if thats the way they are, or just the way you like them. thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: jcam222
That sure is one pretty plate of vittles. Almost to nice to eat.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks great! The cabbage dish sounds really good! The sweet and sour with the german brats has got to be killer! Nice job!

Looks Great. We like Cabbage in a variety of ways. I slow down and cook the Cabbage and Onions over med/low heat, until the Natural Sugars come out and caramelize. The whole deal gets softened and has a light golden brown color. The flavor is sweet and mellow. It's not Splenda Sweet but is sweet enough that a splash of Vinegar gives a nice balance...JJ
Yep I’ve hurried on my last couple and was squeezed for space in my largest pan. I like to do it on my Blackstone griddle and get it nice and golden brown too.

Again thanks for the recipe ideas. I guess I need a waffle iron now.
Can you get chaffles to have a firm texture like a well cooked waffle, yours look soft and pliable, but I'm not sure if thats the way they are, or just the way you like them. thanks
They are reasonably firm if you get them golden brown. I imagine you could let them go a little longer as well. In my other thread on German potato salad made with daikon I also posted a picture of a lot of chaffle recipes. Using a mild cheese like mozzarella you can even do dessert ones. Keto or not these thing make awesome sandwich buns, I mean hell they are mostly cheese :) cheese rules.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky