SV requesting intro tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
fxs1959, I have a cheapo Anova ,no bluetooth and I don't see that I need it. I bought a party stacker Coleman cooler and cut a hole in the cover on one edge to set the gizmo in there. Also bought a stainless steel chain mat to lay over the bags to keep them down. I love my SV toy and IMHO you will like it too!

just in case it becomes a drawer relic.
It won't. Once you get it figured out, your meats will always be cooked perfectly. Take this steak, for instance:

1653000963138.png

Every steak I cook at my selected temp will come out exactly the same. A quick sear once it comes out of the bath, and it's ready to eat. You can also hold (within reason, too long will change the texture) in SV without overcooking if you're not quite ready to eat yet.

Reactions: chopsaw
You will like it. I got the annova unit from Costco as a Christmas gift. I've used it in several cooks and thaws. Get a good vacuum sealer and quality bags. Other than that, the sky is the limit. You will take to it very quickly.

has the #inkbird been reliable? i love their other stuff. i don't need a commercial unit and this is an experiment As i'm on spending probation with pool resurfacing and cataract surgery upcoming.
I have had my Inkbird for about 7-8 months now and it works without issue. I probed the water a few times after I got it to verify the temp and it was spot on all of the time.

It won't. Once you get it figured out, your meats will always be cooked perfectly. Take this steak, for instance:

View attachment 632264

Every steak I cook at my selected temp will come out exactly the same. A quick sear once it comes out of the bath, and it's ready to eat. You can also hold (within reason, too long will change the texture) in SV without overcooking if you're not quite ready to eat yet.
that's what I'm talking about!

We have an anova as well and really like it! Alot of great advice given here already but I'll second the fact of great for reheating food without over cooking. We used it for reheating Easter ham to take to my Dad's...got it up to temp and when time to go brought the cooler with us...didn't matter what time we ate, just waited till shortly before time to eat to remove and slice. Worked perfectly!

And since you're already serving time...what's a little longer sentence? :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: fxsales1959
Hey y'all,
I'm thinking of dipping my toes in sous vide. i did a search nd perused the sous vide topic area. saw a lot of cooks but not really a tutorial. I have googled but there's a ton of paid sponsor rubbish.
I have pretty good idea on the process. Just hoping someone experienced can give pointers on what or what not to buy, as far as implements. I'm pretty sure cheap is not good and China is not good, but am already on the sh@t list with the warden for frivolous spending.
thank you all
john
Thank you all! I'm inspired.

IMG-9982.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
Thank you all! I'm inspired.
I have 2 . 800 and 900 watt Anova . They're worth having just for the reheating alone .
I would have to think you'll like it .
They work magic on beef cuts .
Sirloin tip @132 .
1653053131749.jpeg

1653053187814.jpeg

Next days lunch .
1653053235179.jpeg

It's a fantastic tool to have . I use the app for a lot of recipes as well as the chart .

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky