SV Brisket smoked first

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EJHOFFY62

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 16, 2022
Hello All,
I have been smoking briskets for some time and can cook a decent one. I have tried 3 times now, smoking a brisket until tender around 202 degrees, letting cool, shrink wrap with a food saver, and then refrigerating. After a couple days I put brisket in a 155 degree SV bath for 10 -12 hours. Each time the brisket came out very dry with almost no moisture in bag. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong ? Thank You !

Reactions: JLeonard
Can't offer any advice but here for the ride as I have a few hunks of brisket in the freezer to do the same. Honestly, I thought your plan would be good but admit I was gonna do 140F for 12hr. You going frozen to SV?

Never frozen, just refrigerated. I leave brisket on counter until SV water comes up to temp, then put in bath.

Reactions: zwiller
Sounds like your getting it too high on the temp during smoking. Try taking the brisket to 160-165 or as high as 180. When you Sous Vide for 12 hours at 155 that will help break down the connective tissues.

Also if there is no moisture in the bag then you had no moisture in the brisket when it was done cooking.

Reactions: mike243 and chopsaw
Thank You so much for your reply. The last brisket I thought was cooked well, very jiggley like it should be. Thanks again

I think Bmudd is correct. I remembered seeing this post a few years back and thought it might come in handy. Same concept as with the chuck roast. Smoke for a couple hours and then SV instead of taking it all the way to 202 and then trying to SV it.

I've reheated from frozen . Fully cooked . SV for 2 1/2 hours at 145 . Comes out just as it was the day I cooked it .
If you're fully cooked 155 for 10 hours is to long .
Follow Brian's advice in post #4 .

Thanks for the great advice. So if brisket is full cooked and then refrigerated or frozen, just warm up for 2-3 hours at 145. If I want a longer time in SV bath only cook between 160-175, then I should be able to leave in longer in SV bath at around 155. Can I do the longer SV cook at 145 instead of 155 ? I don't need to keep it in SV for any long length of time. I just want the best quality results. Does that sound right ? Thank you again. I hope to be an asset to this group, I am just new to SV.

Thank you BMUDD and everyone that answered this thread. I smoked a brisket last week, let it cool, shrink wrapped it and it sat in fridge for a couple of days. I warmed it up yesterday in 140 degree SV bath for 4 hours yesterday. It was one of the best briskets, I could possible make. This method is so great because I can serve pretty much any time I want and always serve a top quality product. Thank You again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky