• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOW! The only sashimi I've ever made was on the trip back to port in my old Proline, a bottle of teriyaki a nd a knife while we were cleaning salmon or albacore. I never dreamed someone could assemble a beautiful sushi spread in their own home like you've done. Huge LIKE! RAY

Reactions: S-met
Beautiful presentation!

I will admit though , I don't know much about Sushi and it seems to be quite popular these days.

But, is uncooked fish safe to eat?

Scares me to think about all those parasites found in fish.

John
Completely safe with precautions. Slightly less safe if preparing from your own fresh-caught.
Regarding safety: I'm quoting times and temps from memory so they may not be exactly correct.
Commercially frozen is -30 and kills the parasites in 2 hrs. Home freezers are not as cold thus require longer freeze times, 1 week is sufficient.

Freezing also makes it easy to slice thinly.

Thanks S-met,

I now stand partially educated. Though still a bit queasy about consuming raw fish.

Merry Christmas Everyone,

John
D DavoMac just posted this thread:

A link in there had this:
Freezing kills anisakids, and in this way the food industry ensures that worms pose no health risk in fish that is served raw. For commercial retailers, the FDA recommends freezing and storing the fish in a blast freezer for seven days at −20°C/−4°F, or for 15hours at −35°C/−31°F. Most sushi is, in fact, frozen before it is served; the 1994 FDA study found that all but one of the anisakid worms spotted in the Seattle sushi were dead or dying—casualties of the freezing process. If done improperly, however, freezing can negatively affect the taste and texture of the fish.

D DavoMac just posted this thread:

A link in there had this:
Freezing kills anisakids, and in this way the food industry ensures that worms pose no health risk in fish that is served raw. For commercial retailers, the FDA recommends freezing and storing the fish in a blast freezer for seven days at −20°C/−4°F, or for 15hours at −35°C/−31°F. Most sushi is, in fact, frozen before it is served; the 1994 FDA study found that all but one of the anisakid worms spotted in the Seattle sushi were dead or dying—casualties of the freezing process. If done improperly, however, freezing can negatively affect the taste and texture of the fish.

Thanks for your research Dave.

Perhaps my 2020 resolution may be to try some Sushi but the thoughts of those Anisakid Worms still gives me the willies!

I've decided. . .I'm going to leave the consumption of Sushi to those braver than me.

Enjoy All and Merry Christmas,

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky