Super mods on a drum!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw willy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
I have a drum that is 30" across and 40" tall.  An old shipping container.

My issue is it is cut 2/3rds horizontally, so you lift off the top 1/3rd to remove the contents.  I think it would be a hassle to make a traditional UDS out it due to diameter.

So, I'm thinking about a propane burner from a old Weber gasser and a Bradley smoke generator.

I'm trying to save myself a bunch of cutting and trying to tackle a chip smoke tray and additional stuff.

Any thoiughts on the bradley smoker or the weber propane tubes.  I have three of them.  Would I need all three?

Thanks

Last edited:
worthless.gif

Give us a little help so we can help you

SOB

You are so right.

Here they are.  I also corrected my earlier post.  The thing is cut horizontally.  Those are interior dimensions, 30 x 40.  I would have it sandblasted prior to any work.  I am thinking about the Weber propane tube burners.  They are from my old Genesis.  I know I need to leave the orifice outside and I would need a grease shield over them.. For the smoke.  I am leaning towards a Bradley smoke generator, I know biscuits, but so what.  I should be able to use a Weber 26" replacement grill.  Any thoughts?  Thanks

e5ddb5c6_bradley-smoker-generator-large.jpg
974620bf_smoker022.jpg

You are right.  It is a very heavy gage container.

I am thinking about cutting the the very top off and getting a hinge setup to raise and lower it.  If I kept it seperated at the original seam I would lose alot of smoking room.

That sounds like a good idea.  Can I go charcoal   use the same basket as my UDS?  I was thinking if I used my UDS basket, because this drum is so large (dia.) I would have cold spots on the sides.I don't think a 26" charcoal basket would burn that well.  I had thought about a SFB.  But it would be about 2' x2'x2'  might be kinda bulky hanging off the side.

Those are the reasons I was thinking of propane and the Bradley smoker.  A little costly but!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky