Throwdown Super Bowl Throwdown!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Also keep your descriptions short and to the point to minimize editing on my part when posting the entries to the poll(s). There will be plenty of time to post the whole recipe/method later.

12 days until submissions are closed! Get those ingredients picked up before the big game and don't forget to add the keyword "Super Bowl" in your entry picture! Make sure to only send them to DougE DougE

Yo Jake, Chris, and Doug. I realized a couple nights ago that I was running low on a few of my rubs and spice mixes. Had a little time yesterday to replenish the stock and while I had everything out, I went ahead and made up the 8 bottles that will go along with the Dino ribs as a prize offering.
View attachment 655860

Six of these are mine but the Original and Texas are Jeff's recipe. I don't believe he'd have an issue with me promoting his rubs for this event but those two I cannot share the recipe for. The other six are fair game so anybody that might want the recipe, just say the word and I'll post it.

Robert
That dirt looks so attractive I'd like to know more about it?

Reactions: JLeonard
That dirt looks so attractive I'd like to know more about it?
I put this together for my good friend SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan primarily for his wife. She has issues with salt so if you notice, there is no salt in it. That is the reason for the cumin and coriander. They work well as a salt substitute. Feel free to add salt to your tastes if you deem it necessary of course...or more cumin and coriander. Also beware....the activated charcoal is super light in weight and very powdery. It has a tendency to dust everything around you while mixing it up. The last batch I made was done out in the garage so I didn't have that stuff all over the kitchen. Here ya go:

3 T Chili powder
3 T Activated charcoal
3 T Smoked paprika
2 T Garlic powder
1 T Onion powder
2 t Oregano
1 t Rosemary (crushed finely or run gently in a spice grinder)
1 t Cayenne
2 t Black pepper
1 ½ T Coriander
1 t White pepper
1 ½ T Cumin
2 t Ground coffee

The stuff looks intimidating but don't be afraid of it. The flavors are somewhat subtle but very nicely balanced so a heavy dose is not going to turn you off by destroying the flavor of the meat.

Robert

Remember the Throw-down when you're cooking today's food folks.

These prizes look mighty inviting:

2 racks of CPB beef ribs. Donated by tx smoker tx smoker
1676219485785.png

A 12" smoking tube, 2, 2lb bags of pellets, and a bottle of gel starter. Donated by Steve H Steve H
1676219549724.png

and finally a 80.00 gift box from Man Crates!!!

Chris

Last edited:
Remember the Throw-down when you're cooking today's food folks.

These prizes look mighty inviting:

2 racks of CPB beef ribs. Donated by tx smoker tx smoker
View attachment 657570
A 12" smoking tube, 2, 2lb bags of pellets, and a bottle of gel starter. Donated by Steve H Steve H
View attachment 657571
and finally a 80.00 gift box from Man Crates!!!

Chris
Thanks for the reminder!

I put this together for my good friend SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan primarily for his wife. She has issues with salt so if you notice, there is no salt in it. That is the reason for the cumin and coriander. They work well as a salt substitute. Feel free to add salt to your tastes if you deem it necessary of course...or more cumin and coriander. Also beware....the activated charcoal is super light in weight and very powdery. It has a tendency to dust everything around you while mixing it up. The last batch I made was done out in the garage so I didn't have that stuff all over the kitchen. Here ya go:

3 T Chili powder
3 T Activated charcoal
3 T Smoked paprika
2 T Garlic powder
1 T Onion powder
2 t Oregano
1 t Rosemary (crushed finely or run gently in a spice grinder)
1 t Cayenne
2 t Black pepper
1 ½ T Coriander
1 t White pepper
1 ½ T Cumin
2 t Ground coffee

The stuff looks intimidating but don't be afraid of it. The flavors are somewhat subtle but very nicely balanced so a heavy dose is not going to turn you off by destroying the flavor of the meat.

Robert
i don't even know where to get activated charcoal....

Reactions: JLeonard
EDIT: Upon further review, similar but VERY different so I deleted my original post. Don't need people getting sick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve H
Activated Charcoal can also be bought at just about any store that sells tropical fish. We use Activated Charcoal/Carbon in the filter systems. A (very)quick search made it look like the same stuff.
I wouldn't try it. Unless I'm darn sure it was food grade.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky