Super Bowl Ideas???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbrinton2373

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Ogden
I am going to have some friends over for the Super Bowl, and we were going to spend the day smoking a bunch of different things. Ribs, Brisket, and maybe a shoulder. Those are the 3 things that I feel that I have gotten either pretty good at or really lucky with, but I am looking for maybe a couple of other ideas for more snacking purposes throughout the day.

I would also like to know what peoples go to rub for the ribs and brisket would be. I have tried variations of rubs but so far my favorite has just been Salt and Pepper and soaked in Amberbach overnight. (really good). Anyway just looking for some good suggestions.

Also I will be using my slightly modified Chargriller and a pretty much stock chargriller that I will borrow from my friend, and maybe a lttlte propane smoker that my brother has, (want to see how I like the propane).

Thanks for any input

Sounds like a good menu. I would also throw on a few fatties and one of my personal favorites, cherry bombs. Some delis or in the pickle or Italian isle you can find pepper shooters, a cherry pepper stuffed with aged provolone wrapped in proscuitto and marinated in oil, wrap those in sausage for a wonderful large meatball sized snack bursting with flavor.

As for a rub I normally just coat my meats with my own chipotle rub but you could consider ordering Jeff's rub or trying out one of the several posted on here.
Personally I think if you have a nice good rub with a nice bark that is all you need in a rib, no sauce required.

Yoshida chicken wings!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Chicken thighs would be a great addition.

Add a couple of pans of treegje's firery Evil Meat Balls from Hell. I use half gr chuck, half gr pork, lots of spices and a chunk of colby jack cheese in the middle. Posted this on "beef" a couple of days ago, if you want more details. Or see Treegje's post.

Thanks for the input. I have decided to due pretty much all of it I am going to try the Cherry Bombs, Yoshida Wings, and some ABT's along with my ribs and Brisket. I am sure that will give me enough food to last 2 weeks.

And as for the rubs I think for the Brisket I am just going to stick to my Salt and Pepper Rub and either marinated in Amber Bach, Jim Beam, or some Captian Morgans. Probably the Amber though. The Ribs I will do One rack the same as the Brisket, and the Other racks I want to try something else. Can you give me any pointers on Rubs,

You mentioned a Chipoltle rub that you due Fire are you willing to share or at least guide in the right direction? And other ideas are still welcome. I like to make my own rubs, not store bought. Thanks Again

I have been thinking about the same thing. I was going to try some moinkers as well. My favorite rub is Tony Chachere's original creole seasoning. Great on anything.

Fire it up...as soon as I read "some delis or in the pickle or Italian isle" on your post I knew you were from somewhere north of me! I used to travel all over the country and was always amazed and jelous of the incredible stores in your part of the country. I got stuck in a snow storm once in CT for 4 days staying at a hotel where I had a kitchen(ette)...I was able to make it to the local grocery store and I went a little crazy in the deli and Italian isle - no smoker, but I cooked for my hotel "neighbors" and we watched movies the entire 4 days-one of the funnest trips I ever had! unfortunately we just don't have the same things here in TN that you get to take for granted
mad.gif
. We do finally have a Whole Foods and just got a Trader Joes not too long ago that I make frequent trips to (it takes me 45 mins to get to!). my local Krogers just did a major rennovation and has a very weak rendition of a deli...you guys are so lucky!

Try something quick and easy...Wrap pineapple chunks in bacon, grill bacon until 1/2 done / place in smoker to finish. You won't be able to make enough of these little poppers, watch them disappear!
ingredients: (serves 4) 1 lb bacon/thick cut
1 can pineapple rings
toothpicks / round ones are best

recipe: cut whole package of bacon in 1/2 (width wise of course!)
cut pineapple rings into 5-6 chunks each
wrap bacon around chunk
insert toothpick to hold together

cook: 1) place all on a tray in smoker and cook until done (turning frequently)
2) grill over slow fire until 1/2 way cooked, then place in smoker to finish DO NOT BURN THE BACON!

good luck, you'll be the hit of the party at 1/2 time when served! (...and you'll have lots of help with the assembly)

RobInNY

"Banderas forever"

"Smoke 'em if you got 'em"

Super Bowl Menu around here is gonna be about 100 ABT's.. Some Buffalo Chicken Balls, about 6 racks of ribs and maybe a brisket if I can find a decent one at Costco since my meat cutter is on vacation. Lucky SOB won a trip to Italy.

looking for another side or appetizer... smoked brussel sprouts wrapped in thin slice bacon with a butter garlic dipping sauce.... awesome, thanks ray!!!

OK so I thought of another question. I usually use Hickory for just about everything, except my pork which I have several Apple trees that I cut fresh wood for. So with that said what would the prefered wood choices be for the chicken wings, ABTs, and The Cherry Bombs?

Also Is it unheard of to do the ABTs in something like anaheim or wax peppers. Some of my freinds and family cannot handle any heat. and to keep them from tipping over is it unheard of sliceing them in half and laying them on there sides? Sorry for all the questions but I have never done these and with my school and work schedule I do not have much time for searching the forums.

Again thanks for all the input everybody here rocks

I use apple myself when smoking wings, lately Ive been using a apple, cherry, maple mix. Any pepper with any filling, whatever sounds good to you. Some on here use habaneros, gonna try some myself soon. You can cut the pepper in half, boat style and will work just fine.

Yeah, I always do mine boat style. I don't have a rack for my ABT's, and find the boat style to just work better for that.

Also, if you're looking to get rid of heat, but still have the Jap flavor, just make sure you take ALL of the ribbing and seeds out. My wife is the same way as your family, and I find that they have very little heat that way, but keep that yummy jap flavor! Again the secret is clean them out GOOD (which is also easier to do when you've cut them boat style).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky