Sunday Thanksgiving!! Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jetsknicks1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
Ocala, Fl.
This is the day we do our Thanksgiving and it's absolutely my favorite day of the year, today we're doing a smoked and a fried bird and some double smoked ham, Bear Style, there wasn't a lot of fat on the ham so I'm adding some bacon to baste the meats. This bird was injected with Creole Butter and left in the fridge uncovered overnight, I love the fruit in the cavity (a tip I got here), really helps to keep the bird moist. More to come!

Attachments

• IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: Bearcarver
2-1/2 hours in and the bird's sitting at 120*, time to put the ham on under the basting pan.

Attachments

• IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 46
Looks like a Fine TG Dinner from here!!!:)

That Ham makes Great Bear-Bait!!!

This Bear "Likes".

Bear
Lol, thanks Bear, you've spoiled us all on the ham. Quick question, the bird looks like it might be done early. I was planning on pulling it at 160* and tossing it in a hot oven at the end to crisp up the skin, if it's going to finish early, should I pull it at about 155* and store in a cooler with towels until it's time to crisp the skin?

Pulling it at 155 will carry over to 165. The juices will redistribute into the meat and then you can crisp up the skin! It sounds delicious, and I've been eating turkey for three days straight!

Mike

Crisping the skin 15 minutes after the turkey has rested for a couple hours Will not mess up the juices that have already redistributed.
Hot hot oven .. That will only penetrate the outside of the turkey in that short time.

Lol, thanks Bear, you've spoiled us all on the ham. Quick question, the bird looks like it might be done early. I was planning on pulling it at 160* and tossing it in a hot oven at the end to crisp up the skin, if it's going to finish early, should I pull it at about 155* and store in a cooler with towels until it's time to crisp the skin?

Mike & JB got you covered, but as far as carry-over, it depends on what Temp you've been smoking at. When I smoke my Prime Ribs in a 220° Smoker the meat only carries over about 3°.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky