Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I finally got my fermented summer sausage started.
I made 2 seperate 5 lb batches identical except for 2nd batch has 25g of dried ground jalapenos in it.
I used TSM Goteborg summer sausage seasoning.

2.5 lbs ground venison
2.5 lbs 70/30 ground beef
93g (3.25 oz) seasoning
25g dried jalapenos (2nd batch)
6g cure #1
1/4 tsp Bactoferm F-LC
Distilled water

Layered in meat, spice, meat, spice, etc. into Kitchen Aid mixer bowl with dough hook.
Dissolve cure #1 in 1/4 cup distilled water.
Add cure.
Mix on low for 15 minutes.
Cover and put into fridge for 20 minutes
Dissolve 1/4 teaspoon Bactoferm F-LC into 1/4 cup distilled water to allow it to "wake up" for 15-20 min. Those are the directions on the package.
Meat back on mixer.
Add culture.
Mix on low for 10 min.
Stuff into 1-1/2" dia. x 12" long clear fibrous casings.
Hang in my oven from bamboo skewers.
I have an electric hot water pot in the oven turned to add humidity.
Supposed to ferment for 24 hours.

Summer Sausage Fermenting 8-12-2018.jpg

Checked on it this morning, about 16 hours in. The color had changed from grayish to a light mahogany.

I've never used it either. So I'm as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Well, that didn't go as planned.
Dripping grease snuffed out my AMNPS with apple dust after about 4 hours and I didn't realize it. So it's not hardly smokey.
I put them in an ice water bath and got water up in between the meat and the casings. So I had to strip off the casings.
There was quite a bit of "goo" on the outside of the meat that appears to have caused the casings not to stick to the meat.
Everything is wiped off and resting in the fridge.

I'll post some pictures later.

DR, What were your smoker temps, the fat shouldn't have been coming out of the casings. It seems it might have been a bit hot ?? The goo sounds like "fat out" on your SS. Interested in a money shot of your sliced SS!

Why yes, I do dry my garden grown jalapenos. LEM 10 tray. Not as over powering as I first thought, but getting there.

I used the 110°f for a couple of hours then bumped up the temp. 10° every hour until chamber temps of 170° until finished. The finishing temp ended up being around 158-160°f.
I'll post some photos this evening, but it will be late.

Reactions: archeryrob
Regular on top, jalapeno on bottom.
It doesn't cut smooth like my last batch. Some of the meat breaks off from the edges.
20180815_171536.jpg

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks good. Was it on the dry side & that’s what makes it not slice nice. Did it have a tang to it from the bactoferm?

DR, Your SS looks tasty, probably need a bit more fat in your next batch to keep it from crumbling on the edges. Are your smoker chamber temps true as too high a temp will give you fat out? That said I'd love some to munch on !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky