Summer Sausage with bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Makkara

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 1, 2021
It was time for a small SS batch and I had a new mix to try. I found an un-opened container of TSM summer sausage seasoning that I forgot I had ordered earlier. Rooting around in the freezer I found a bag of cubed top round, and a bag of bacon fat. The combination of these two bags would give around an 82/18 lean to fat. Since the ingredients listed fermento, no additional tang was added. Since the bacon fat had been cured, I did not use its weight in calculating seasonings or cure.

Medium grind twice, mix in seasonings/cure, stuff, and hang in fridge overnight. 1 hour no smoke @ 100. 1 hour each of 120,130,140,150,160. Apple smoke was added for the first 3 hours. I pulled at internal temp of 120, which was about 5.5 hours in smoker. Sous vide at 154 until 151 temp was reached. Ice bath, air dry at room temperature, and rest in fridge overnight.

My thoughts... Great flavor with the right amount of tang. Slight hint of bacon flavor. I will up the percentage of bacon fat next time,
while reducing beef fat by the same amount. Thanks for looking!!

20221027_130414.jpg 20221025_105537.jpg 20221025_112857.jpg

It was time for a small SS batch and I had a new mix to try. I found an un-opened container of TSM summer sausage seasoning that I forgot I had ordered earlier. Rooting around in the freezer I found a bag of cubed top round, and a bag of bacon fat. The combination of these two bags would give around an 82/18 lean to fat. Since the ingredients listed fermento, no additional tang was added. Since the bacon fat had been cured, I did not use its weight in calculating seasonings or cure.

Medium grind twice, mix in seasonings/cure, stuff, and hang in fridge overnight. 1 hour no smoke @ 100. 1 hour each of 120,130,140,150,160. Apple smoke was added for the first 3 hours. I pulled at internal temp of 120, which was about 5.5 hours in smoker. Sous vide at 154 until 151 temp was reached. Ice bath, air dry at room temperature, and rest in fridge overnight.

My thoughts... Great flavor with the right amount of tang. Slight hint of bacon flavor. I will up the percentage of bacon fat next time,
while reducing beef fat by the same amount. Thanks for looking!!

View attachment 647189View attachment 647187View attachment 647188
That looks delicious!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky