Summer Sausage pH

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rfwoodvt

Original poster
Nov 17, 2019
Morning All,

Long term Kamado smoker and cured whole muscle maker but a total neophyte to fermented sausages.

Made a 5 kg batch of summer sausage (first time) using I used a 50/50 mix of venison and pork, 1% dextrose, 1/2% brown sugar, and Bactoferm LHP. Fermentation was conducted at 86*f with 85% rh per Mariansky's method.

A little note on the Bactoferm, I discovered it was out of date well into the process of making the batter. Since I was committed to making the sausage, knowing that if the Bactoferm failed I'd toss the whole batch, I decided to over inoculate to catch as many of the remaining viable spores as possible and hopefully get it to work.

I Kept a small bowlful (1/2 pint) of the batter for pH testing and placed it in the chamber.

I calibrated the tester several times before use using high, mid and low buffer and then tested it in a known pH solution to verify its accuracy.

Fresh Batter had a starting pH of 5.9

At 18 hours the pH meter shows 4.25.

This begs a Several questions.

First, the recipe calls for 24 hours fermenting. Do I risk additional acidification if I continue at fermentation temperatures? Or, should I move immediately to smoking to slow or halt fermentation?

Second, is this 4.25 pH reading indicative of a too sourly tasting product? Will I find it unpalatable?

Third, though Marianky doesn't say, when I do start smoking should I give the sausages a short drying period before starting the smoke?

Thanks!

That pH is necessary for bacterial control.... Nothing you can do about it if you want the meat safe to eat... I think the minimum pH, for bacterial control is somewhere around pH 4.75...
As long as the meat is safe to eat, you will be alive to try a different ferment bacteria.....
The meat surface should be "dry" when it's removed from the chamber... If not, place it in front of a fan for 10-30 minutes... You do NOT want the surface to get hard... case hardening.. The interior will not get dry enough to inhibit bacterial growth.....

So, a continuation question on the low pH I got. I followed Marianski's recipe for dextose and sugar and it wasn't clear whether the fermentation would naturally stop on the upper half of 4 of if I had to stop it through heat.

I'm thinking next time I could use less fermentable sugars. Or, is there some other technique I should use?

4.2 will guarantee it's safety to eat.... I doubt you will be able to taste the difference of 4.2 to 4.7... I doubt I could tell the difference...

4.2 will guarantee it's safety to eat.... I doubt you will be able to taste the difference of 4.2 to 4.7... I doubt I could tell the difference...

Thanks for the insight Dave. I just made another batch, this time using the F-LC and a slightly lower temperature in the chamber (90* as opposed to 100*) Got essentially the same final pH at 4.2

However, this time the amount of sour "twang" was significantly less than with the LHP and the flavor profile more in line with what I was looking for. I think we have found our go-to recipe.

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky