Suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AirForceDan

Original poster
Mar 9, 2021
Chonestahn, Pa
As a first time smoker, long time lover, I woke up at 4AM today, and threw some B&B lump charcoal on my modded ECB and threw my coal chimney on the grill half filled with more coal. Once the coals ashed over,I dumped them in the loaded coal pan and threw about 4-5 pieces of maple on the coals, most around a deck of playing cards size. Around 5AM, I tossed the 10lb shoulder on when my ECB got to 200* but noticed the temps shot up to 350 in a hurry! I labored for about a half hour to get temps down to around 235*F. I think the lump coal and maple really took off when I introduced air by taking the lid off to add the meat.Now I’m worried that because of the temp swings and heavy smoke that occurred originally I’ll over smoke the meat. Also, when planning the party I’m smoking this for, I was going to use a 7-8lb butt, not a 10lb shoulder but that’s what the butcher had. To save time i want to finish in the oven. What oven temperature do you recommend and for how long?

By heavy smoke do you mean a white or grey smoke? If so then you may not like the taste to much. If the meat stayed in there for a good spell. As for maple wood. I don't feel it imparts a strong/heavy smoke flavor. Its more a medium to mild strength wood. If you want to finish it off in the oven I would suggest 275 to 300*.

Chris

Note: It's always a good idea to let your smoker settle in on your desired temp before adding the meat.

Reactions: JLeonard
By heavy smoke do you mean a white or grey smoke? If so then you may not like the taste to much. If the meat stayed in there for a good spell. As for maple wood. I don't feel it imparts a strong/heavy smoke flavor. Its more a medium to mild strength wood. If you want to finish it off in the oven I would suggest 275 to 300*.

Chris

Note: It's always a good idea to let your smoker settle in on your desired temp before adding the meat.
Yeah, learned the hard way to bank the coals better, or to be quicker about closing up the drum after throwing on the hot coals and hog. I took a few pieces of smoking maple out when the temps and smoke got up there. I don’t think it’ll be ruined, fingers crossed! Temps been at 235-245 for almost 5 hours now.

Turned out great, btw! I brought temp up to 275, and was done in about 11 hours! I wrapped at 165, but took forever to get out of the stall because high winds kept driving temps down. Plenty of leftovers to drop off at my family’s who are down with the ‘rona.

Attachments

• 7F9BF2AF-3438-4520-A41D-0A99BB9F623F.jpeg
    7F9BF2AF-3438-4520-A41D-0A99BB9F623F.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 71C06C30-709E-4904-A46A-81890E88D2ED.jpeg
    71C06C30-709E-4904-A46A-81890E88D2ED.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: smokerjim
Turned out great, btw! I brought temp up to 275, and was done in about 11 hours! I wrapped at 165, but took forever to get out of the stall because high winds kept driving temps down. Plenty of leftovers to drop off at my family’s who are down with the ‘rona.
Yep, I'd eat that for sure. Hope that the family gets better soon...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky