suggestions on a rub to use

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dkmarb

Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Any suggestions on a tried and true rub to use for smoking a pork shoulder/butt (17bs ankle to backbone from young pig).  I am going to serve it on saturday for Thanksgiving (in Colombia).  I am using hickory for this.  I usually by a smaller pre-smoked ham and then put a honey glaze on it and smoke it for about 3 hours for additional flavor. this year i decided to do it all.  my first endeavour in doing one this big.  might as well smoke it myself since I'm frying 4 turkeys.

I have previously used the rub "the renowned mr. brown" recipe from smoke and spice.

1 last question:  to rub or not to rub?

Thanks,

Dave

go to the wiki section and go to the alphabetical list and click E. Try that one and see what ya think

looks good.  have everything except crab boil but i guess i can make my own.

Thanks

looks good.  have everything except crab boil but i guess i can make my own.

Thanks
You don't have to have the liquid crab boil. I didn't use it the first few times i made this recipe. Also this is a no salt rub so add salt if you want  it.

McCormick's came out with "Smokehouse Maple" seasoning that is just plain fantastic! I use it straight ( it's a bit coarse so I run it through a mill ) and I use it as a base for my own recipe rub.

Give it a try - it's good on most anything - pulled pork, ribs, brisket, poultry  ( have not tried it on fish yet )

my problem buying anything from the states is living in Bogota, Colombia the shipping and import taxes usually doubles the price( at minimum) and you don't know if you ever are going to receive it.  i was able to bring a bunch of hickory and cajun seasoning when i moved here.  so i have to make everything from scratch.

thanks

icon_cool.gif

Now Jeff's rub is really that good and worth every pennies that we have spent on it. I use it alot but then I change rubs alot I'm always tryi8ng new idea or I have heard of one here. Now the latest rub that I'm using is Old Bay and Brown Sugar mixture. It has alttle heat and then the sweet kicks in.

Thanks for all the helpful information.  The smoked pork butt/shoulder turned out great.  22.5 lbs gone.  only the bone was left for soup tonight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky