Sugar, part of curing or flavoring?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hopkinsb

Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Mars
Greetings,

I am on a carnivore diet, I will cheat with spices but not sugar. In these brine and rub cure recipes is the sugar necessary for curing, or is it strictly for flavor?

Thank you,

What the hell is a carnivore diet? Ain't that what cavemen were on? Club woman on head -drag home -stop and eat a bear on the way?

What the hell is a carnivore diet? Ain't that what cavemen were on?
I only eat animal products, like vegan, but the complete opposite haha. Usually just eat a ribeye or two a day for dinner, but like some variety so I am getting into smoking and curing :) Started Keto, and migrated to full carnivore, I like it, but not here to promote it or anything.

I only eat animal products, like vegan, but the complete opposite haha. Usually just eat a ribeye or two a day for dinner, but like some variety so I am getting into smoking and curing :) Started Keto, and migrated to full carnivore, I like it, but not here to promote it or anything.
I am sure I went overboard in my reply. May I ask do you do this for diet purposes or what? I am on a low carb diet with fantastic results is why I am asking.My diet lets me eat ALL the meat I want. I was wondering if yours was "religious" since you can't eat nuts.

Reactions: hopkinsb
I am sure I went overboard in my replay. May I ask do you do this for diet purposes or what? I am on a low carb diet with fantastic results is why I am asking.
Diet/Overall health

This is just the way of eating that I feel best doing. I eat once a day usually, I view food as a source of fuel now with a lot less of the emotional attachment. I have had an unhealthy addiction to carbs/sugar most of my life and this has really helped me break that.

I do believe plants can be healthy, but the way they are grown currently (even organic) falls way short. Dan Kittredge gives a good presentation on Soil Food Farms I think it's called on youtube. Using notill, adding in rock dust (minerals and vitamins) keeping soil covered and plants happy. But, it's a lot easier to just buy meat :)I do plan on raising my own cows and pigs next year as well to further my quality of food.

Welcome from Tennessee. We love meat around here so you'll fit right in. Lots of people with curing knowledge here so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out. While you wait you can read this

Welcome from Tennessee. We love meat around here so you'll fit right in. Lots of people with curing knowledge here so I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out. While you wait you can read this
That does seem to answer it! Thank you TN Jake. I am from Washington State

Reactions: TNJAKE
I am sorry--So it is not a "religous thing" or a diet.....just a belief? Charlie P.S.(keeping plants happy?) I'm outta here. Good Luck to you

I am sorry--So it is not a "religous thing" or a diet.....just a belief? Charlie P.S.(keeping plants happy?) I'm outta here. Good Luck to you
Yeah, just what works for me :) There is a lot of info around about it if your interested :)

I saw you said something about no sugar for curing in the other thread . I have used TQ on pork loin with no sugar . It was fine for my taste. I agree with food is fuel . Working outside for a long time . The weather and task at hand determined what I ate to get thru the day. Hops and barley soup got me thru the night .

Sugar is not needed at all for the curing process. However, using the equilibrium method of curing installs the percentage of salt and sugar in your cure per the meat weight. This is balance. When sugar and salt are in balance, meat flavor is superb in final product. I like both to be low most often. So I impart 1.5% salt and 1.0% sugar to the meat weight. The sugar at this level complements the meat and the salt. It’s fantastic flavor.

Morton's Ingredients.png

The carnivore diet is great once your body converts over! My wife and I have been doing it for a few months now. The main premise of it is that your body can get all the nutrients needed from an animal based diet. The key is nose to tail. We take beef organ supplements due to my wife not liking liver, pancreas and kidney are hard to find too.

The biggest thing that carnivore looks at is the toxins in plants. There is a lot of growing evidence that plant toxins creat inflammation in your body, and that contributes to autoimmune issues. The Carnivore Code is a good book to read if anybody is interested!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky