SUCCESS!!! Brinkmann Vertical is now converted---with pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
GREAT idea camp..........man........now i have a burner for my cold/hot smoker, once i add that needle valve.........POINTS for you

question tho...........on my brinkman backyard grill/smoker......my side verticle smoker........when i tried to get it as low as possible........it wuld give me the dreaded yellow flame..........will this needle valve take care of that issue?

I don't know what impact adding the valve will have.

I have not gone the needle valve direction as yet. I was concerned about having too small of a flame and risking blowouts.

I don't plan to do much smoking under the 225 range. I have a beautiful blue flame with my control knob turned all the way down. I have all of my vents (with the exception of the new top one) all the way open.

If I decide to do some cooler smoking, I will probably just go buy an electric hot plate and put it in there.

On edit....THANKS FOR THE POINTS WD!!! Beginning to feel like I know what I am doing now.

From an earlier post:

"I will not be using the cast iron skillet as planned. I put a couple of chunks on during the season and after an hour they still were not smoking. Wife had an old loaf pan that is now an honored piece of smoking equipment."

During my real cook today I ran into an issue with my chunks flaring up and really throwing my heat off as well as white billowing smoke instead of TBS. I tried covering with foil (triple folded) and that did not work either. As the thin wall pan was sitting on the fire grate it was basically transferring all of the heat and causing them to catch fire.

I put the skillet back in the unit with 4 chunks and threw on 2 or 3 pieces of charcoal. This did the trick. The skillet was hot enough to get the coal going which then caused the chunks to smoke without flaring. So know I have the added bennie of getting some old fashioned charcoal flavoring as well.

Can't take full credit for this one. I remembered it from the "Adding charcoal to an MES" thread.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky