Stuffer vs. stuffer vote

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Which do you prefer? Horizontal or vertical?   I cannot see how to Clean the Horizontal without taking nuts and bolts off!   On the reverse side I want to add a gear motor and a foot switch. the horizontal looks like the easiest to modify. I love my industrial style meat slicer but it is not made to clean. If I was to do it again I would have researched the clean up aspect. It is PITA to clean!

Here is a thread about cleaning a stuffer that makes me say YIKES! I want one that was thought out for function, safety, product waste and cleaning.

WHAT SAY YOU?

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/259611/hakka-stuffer-cleaning-and-new-gaskets

Last edited:
If you happen to have a Gander Mountain store near you, they are going out of business.  The one near me has all their stuffer's and grinders at 40% off.  They had LEM and GM Store branded stuffers from 5 to 15lbs left the other day when I was in there.  Their "normal" price is pretty much full retail, but a 40% discount on a LEM with steel gears is a good deal.

Also Northern Tool has their 5 lb stuffer with the nylon gears for $59 right now.  Pair that with a $10 off $50 purchase code if you order online and pick up at local store and its $49.  The 15 lb model with steel gears is $129, and they have a $20 off $100 purchase code to get that one down to $109 (which is a bargain for a stainless steel stuffer of that size). 

I had not noticed the 15 lb on sale until today and may have to upgrade as I'm making some larger batches lately. Only drawback to me is all my accessories from the 5 lbs will not fit (5lb has a 1 9/16" horn size and 15 lb has a 2 1/16" horn size).

For what it's worth I have a 7 liter Hakka that I got for Christmas that has had a few hundred lbs put through it and have no complaints. Fit and finish were top quality everything except the handle and gears is stainless. File tested the gears and they seem a good grade steel and for the price I was impressed. I really think I am extremely picky on things and this is one I could find no complaints with and it was one of the few things the wife got me that didn't go back.    

Reactions: olypenaaron

For what it's worth I have a 7 liter Hakka that I got for Christmas that has had a few hundred lbs put through it and have no complaints. Fit and finish were top quality everything except the handle and gears is stainless. File tested the gears and they seem a good grade steel and for the price I was impressed. I really think I am extremely picky on things and this is one I could find no complaints with and it was one of the few things the wife got me that didn't go back.    
I am looking for one also. Ill look at the brand ... Does it have small tubes available?  

I like your comment about sending stuff back.

I sent the grinder back the wife got me for xmas two years back. It would not grind brisket well. I bought the Lem #12   It will grind bones
!LOL

I am looking for one also. Ill look at the brand ... Does it have small tubes available?  

I sent the grinder back the wife got me for xmas two years back. It would not grind brisket well. I bought the Lem #12   It will grind bones
!LOL
I'm pretty sure the Hakka uses the standard 2 1/16" base tubes.  You can get stainless tubes down to 10mm (for 16mm stick casings) on eBay.

!LOL
They are the 2 1/16 base they had them on amazon for it along with replacement parts got my snack stick tube at Waltons. This xmas was strange everything was something I wanted only took 25+ years of training but now there is hope

I made my decision after reading reviews and reading the 51 questions associate with the product. I liked their bearing set up for the gear shafts and the steel gears. Someone asked if smaller tube are available and they are. There were several questions about the seal leaking in the tube and several people responded NO.

I like that Parts are available.The handle is build pretty well also. I did see that these units leave meat in the bottom of the tube. There was a person speak up about taking a zip lock with a towel in it to use a cushion to push out the extra meat! Great idea!

I wanted an electric stuffer but what is available for the money was not appealing for my purpose. 

I will look for a gear motor and clutch coupling and see if I can do it myself.

Cabala's makes a black motor drive for stuffers but there were so few reviews and they were all pretty much negative that I decided pass. Also the price was ridiculous for that quality of unit.

Here is the unit that I decided on.

Really had a hard time decided between V and H but gravity won.

I have to figure out how much trim (smile) I have now and get ready for a grind in to make burger, sausage, pepperoni, snack sticks and flat jerky. 

DDR

•  
  • 41arzGuJICL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41Os4KrGwlL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51UdC-VUGsL._SS40_.jpg
  • 415Lu5hzQeL._SS40_.jpg
  • 516Fq8Jh9CL._SS40_.jpg
  • 41zlJfz65ZL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51hs9FzFijL._SS40_.jpg

[h4]Image Unavailable[/h4]
Image not available for
Color:
  •  
  •  

• 61p1mR48IYL._SX522_.jpg

• 819SQdZpzSL._SY679_.jpg

• 51UdC-VUGsL.jpg

• 81Wckfry79L._SX522_.jpg

Roll over image to zoom in

HAKKA BROTHER

[h1]Hakka 7 Lb/3 L Sausage Stuffer 2 Speed Stainless Steel Vertical 5-7 Lb Sausage Maker by HAKKA BROTHER [/h1]

4.8 out of 5 stars 171 customer reviews

| 51 answered questions  

Last edited:
Hakka makes a drive but honestly it's to easy even with the small meat stick tube as long as you use liquid in your mix. I use mine alone and have no problems as for the amount left in the canister it is only about 4oz and makes a nice treat as you clean or breakfast the next day. Just a word of caution when you have the handle under load don't just let go or it will come around and slap back there is no catch to keep it from turning backwards.   

Hakka makes a drive but honestly it's to easy even with the small meat stick tube as long as you use liquid in your mix. I use mine alone and have no problems as for the amount left in the canister it is only about 4oz and makes a nice treat as you clean or breakfast the next day. Just a word of caution when you have the handle under load don't just let go or it will come around and slap back there is no catch to keep it from turning backwards.   
Thanks for the advice!   Snacks are good stuff!!!

DDR

I had heard that about the Hakka stuffers when using small tubes.  On the other hand, I don't think you want a catch.  I know I back off my handle in the opposite direction when I'm making snack sticks by myself.  I lay mine flat and cut them about 14" long with kitchen scissors as I'm stuffing them.  I usually take about 1/2 turn back to stop the meat flow as it is under pressure in the small tube.  Otherwise, I may stop, but the meat keeps on flowing!  My 5 lb Kitchener does not have enough force to slap you, it just keeps pushing meat for a few seconds.  But that 2 speed Hakka apparently does as I've seen several posts about it.  Not a reason to not get one, just something to be aware of and take a slight back crank before letting go.

I had heard that about the Hakka stuffers when using small tubes.  On the other hand, I don't think you want a catch.  I know I back off my handle in the opposite direction when I'm making snack sticks by myself.  I lay mine flat and cut them about 14" long with kitchen scissors as I'm stuffing them.  I usually take about 1/2 turn back to stop the meat flow as it is under pressure in the small tube.  Otherwise, I may stop, but the meat keeps on flowing!  My 5 lb Kitchener does not have enough force to slap you, it just keeps pushing meat for a few seconds.  But that 2 speed Hakka apparently does as I've seen several posts about it.  Not a reason to not get one, just something to be aware of and take a slight back crank before letting go.
Good point. 

I think a good smack in the head once in a while is good for yas anyway. Keep you tuned up. One time and I will learn to take the pressure off every time!  ROFLMAO. 

I think all of the machines had quirks of some kind.  I just balanced function for the dollar. 

It looks to me like most of them are made by the same company in china. The bases, handles, tubes and frames are very close to the same. 

I have a 5 lbs Gander Mountain stuffer with nylon gears. So far no troubles.

Had a problem with a LEM dehydrator under warranty. One phone call, free shipping and it was fixed.

I was quite pleased with their customer service.

Craig

Received the Stuff er today ll!!

The reviews were on the money.

I looked at what was amiable at BPS, Acadamy , and Cabelas.

This unit is made far better than I thought it would be.

I believe you get what you pay for and there is not a place where that is not true - most often..

This time I think it was of those exceptions.

Very well build.

DDR

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky