Stuffed Crust Foccacia Bread Pizza (Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Last week Steve ( Steve H Steve H ) posted the Foccacia bread he'd made. I had the same kit in the pantry but had not made it because the directions sounded really involved. Well, he managed to condense the process and make it super simple, which he shared with the group. I decided to pull the trigger and make mine. Found out the same day that we had a vegetarian friend coming for dinner that we'd not seen for a while. She loves pizza so thought I'd just make a pizza with her in mind and add some Italian sausage to my plate. No meat, it's just an appetizer or a side dish. Ran the dough through the bread machine then into a bowl covered with plastic wrap and onto the patio to proof for a couple hours.

This is the kit I used. Stole the pic from Steve though because I forgot to take one :emoji_laughing:
P5140025.JPG

The dough rolled out in the 14" CI pizza pan. I left it hanging over the sides intentionally.
006.jpg

Two rounds of fresh sliced whole milk mozz
007.jpg

Roll the edges over the cheese and seal them. So far I'm happy. Never been successful with stuffed crust.
008.jpg

Got a couple links of my sweet Italian sausage out to defrost
009.jpg

The mix comes with an herb packet that you mix with EVOO. Some goes into the dough, the rest is reserved. This is the rest
010.jpg

Brush the crust with the herb and oil mix
011.jpg

Add tomatoes, fresh zucchini, artichoke hearts, and crushed red pepper
012.jpg

Sprinkle with just a bit of fresh shredded mozz to hold things together
013.jpg

Got my sausages on the grill
014.jpg

Just before the pizza was ready to go on, the ladies decreed that I needed to add some Kalamata olives. Far be it from me to disobey
015.jpg

Onto the grill. About 15 minutes in. So far, so good
016.jpg

Done and in the house
017.jpg

Sliced and ready to serve
018.jpg

My plate: the pizza, sausage, and homemade marinara for dipping
019.jpg

Need more cheese in the crust next time but it was successful
020.jpg

This was fantastic!! Steve was not kidding when he said how good this Foccacia bread is. I could almost have made a meal out of it without the sausage. Amazing flavor, light but firm crust, and a really nice bite to it. Now that the bread can be done as easily as any others, I'll probably go to this kit for all my pizzas going forward. Now...the dough was pretty sticky after proofing on the patio. I think it was probably caused by a lot of condensation that built up on the bottom of the plastic wrap and dripped back into the dough. Was an easy fix though. I just kneaded flour into the dough till it was the right consistency. The ladies said the best crust they have ever had, which pretty much equates to the best pizza. I wont agree the best pizza but it was fantastic will agree that it was the best crust. Those Prepared Pantry kits have never let me down. All have been great, and so easy to do.

Well, this one has run it's course. Y'all take care and see ya soon. Have a great weekend.

Robert

Robert, that’s one heck of a pizza! Sliced or diced tomatoes with a little garlic is some of my favorite pizza toppings…extra artichoke and pepper is just gravy.

That’s a Texas-sized 10-4 there, good buddy!!

Oh man! That looks amazing! Work travels are interrupting things for me, but that is motivation to get home! Steve H Steve H killed it, but this is next level. Man I miss being home!! Great work!

Reactions: Steve H
Damn Robert that looks great man. The crust just looks outstanding. You got me on the CI pizza pan. Best method I have found so far.

It looks like you did a great job there, Robert.

Funny how the cheese in the edge of the crust doesn't show up in the picture. How much more do you think that you would add?

Nice pie Robert, and nice of you to accommodate your friend with the veggy pizza. because ( it needs meat ) but
it looks good and I could sit down to that no problem, as long as I could steal a couple slices of your Italian sausage you grilled up also. lol

David

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Robert that just sounds and looks amazing and packed with flavor. I agree with them on the olives!! I have to add that the last pic is likely the best photo you’ve done from an artistic standpoint. It’s simply stellar and a magazine worthy shot.

Now that's a good looking pie Robert. Nicely done. I don't think I could eat 8 slices, so for mine could you just cut in quarters. Four slices are plenty for me.

Point for sure
Chris

Another one out of he park! Wow that all looks great!
Thanks Dave. I was really happy with this one. Finally starting to get the pizzas dialed in.
Now THAT'S a pie! Simply amazing looking Robert!
Very much appreciate it Steve. I think this is the first time I've had the finished product look as good as the picture on the package that caught my eye and made me buy it :emoji_wink:
Looks great. I'm with you though, I would have to have a side of some type of meat also.
Yes, you're right, and thank you for the kind words. I just gotta have meat with my meal.Always been like that and probably always will be :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Robert, that’s one heck of a pizza! Sliced or diced tomatoes with a little garlic is some of my favorite pizza toppings…extra artichoke and pepper is just gravy.
Thanks so much Joe. I kinda liked the idea of this being a "side dish" and having the meat on the side. It worked out really well.
Oh man! That looks amazing! Work travels are interrupting things for me, but that is motivation to get home! Steve H Steve H killed it, but this is next level. Man I miss being home!! Great work!
Very much appreciate it Jed. Time to leave the left coast and get home to the right coast and dazzle us with some more amazing meals. Been missing your posts buddy :emoji_wink:
Damn Robert that looks great man. The crust just looks outstanding. You got me on the CI pizza pan. Best method I have found so far.
Thanks John. I love that CI pizza pan. that was a real game changer for us.

Robert

Reactions: bauchjw
Funny how the cheese in the edge of the crust doesn't show up in the picture. How much more do you think that you would add?
You can see a little it of the cheese all the way to the outside of the crust but I'd put at least 2x as much next time around. Never had this work before so was unsure of how much to use.
Robert, that is a delicious looking pie.
Thank you Stu. I was really happy with the way it came out looking. Going in I thought "just another pizza" and almost didn't take pics. glad I did though.
How hot did you run your grill Robert?
With just 2 of the 3 burners running on low, the grill runs between 425 and 450. I'll start out on medium heat just to get the grill warmed up then dial it down to low when the heat comes up.

Robert

Reactions: one eyed jack
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky