Strong recommendation: USE A DIMMER plug for electric cold smoker attachment!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use natural convection. Heat rises.
A mod box, AMNPS, 96" of dryer aluminum duct tubing, and a stack on my MES.

If I was to choose a control device, I'd opt for Dave's SCR drive.

Has anybody tried something like this for the cold smoker? Rated at 6 amps, 720 watts. You might be able to mount an electrical box over the current off / on switch and replace that switch with this? Maybe a little hammered black paint to make it build in? Thoughts?

Attachments

• switch.JPG
    switch.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 36
This unit works very well... $16 Amazon.. I have and use 2 of them.. I control 1500 watt elements...

Yeeco AC 110V 4000W SCR Voltage Regulator Speed Control Driver Dimming Dimmer Thermostat Governing Temperature Governor Fan Motor Controller

71xB3RWe4AL._SX569_.jpg

I saw that but I was hoping to find something as small as possible (as well as being safe) and mount it permanently some how. Any pics on how you have it mounted?

Small ??? 2 1/4 x 4 x 1 1/4"....
For mounting, I cut a 12 ga appliance extension cord, hooked it up about 2' from the male plug...

Size:AC110V 4000W
Parameters:
Operating voltage: AC 110V
Max Power: 4000W (Connected resistive load)
Voltage Regulation: AC 0V - 110V Adjustable
Size: (shell) length 91x wide 59MMx high 34MM
Usage:
This product is Connected to 110V AC input, The output is connected to the electric wire or electrical appliances,
Rotary potentiometer rotating rod,
Can play speed, pressure, temperature control effect
Application:
This product uses the new two-way High Power SCR,
Because the design of the current max up to 20 A
A good solution to cool down the situation in the electric wire
Resistance is too small to cause over-flow problem;
Can easily adjust the output voltage 0-110V
Such as:Furnace,Hot water heater tune,Lamp dimming,Small motor speed,Electric iron,thermostat and so on.
So as to achieve dimming, thermostats, adjusting the voltage effect.
Can be used for electric power appliances use less than 4000W
Inductively or capacitive load power should be reduced, the regulator is equipped with two-way high-power thyristor, potentiometers are with nuts and thick oversized radiator with aluminum shell
Note:
Note that the load can not exceed the maximum power, otherwise it will burn modules and appliances;
Try using a resistive load;
Inductive, capacitive load power to stay for more than half margin.
packing including:
1x AC 110V 4000W High Power SCR electronic regulator

IMO, the 4,000 watt unit has a much finer control for you temp adjustments... You may need the fine adjustment...

Dave, I'll keep that in mind, as I never considered that

they are inexpensive, even up here that I could get another one, and pay closer attention to the wattage.

My long term goal is to build a wooden/metal smokehouse using an oven element, and that is why I thought I'd eventually need the 10K unit.

Dave I bought that unit YEECO my question is can I just wire it between the smoker and the receptacle
using a extension chord and turning the thermostat to the highest setting ? I have a smoking it #4

TIA Paul

If you have an analog smoker you can... If it has electronics inside, probably not... You need full 110 for the electronics...
You can install it on the element.. unplug it, wire between the element and incoming wire...
On my MES30, I installed the dimmer on the element...
Wire coming in to the element goes up to the YEECO... From the YEECO down to the element... That's it...
Then, you can turn the heat setting up to the "high limit" you set... Then adjust the YEECO to a % and wait for the temp to stabilize... adjust as necessary until you have your temp.... The element never turns off... No ups and downs of temperature... All of the original electronics function normal.... Unfortunately, I did the dimmer BEFORE SCR's were readily available.. but it works the same, only a bit pricier back in the day.. I think I got the dimmer for $70 on ebay... $55 is a lot of beer... LOL...
24e292c6_installedback.jpg

If you have an analog smoker you can... If it has electronics inside, probably not... You need full 110 for the electronics...
You can install it on the element.. unplug it, wire between the element and incoming wire...
On my MES30, I installed the dimmer on the element...

I have the upper limit set to 101 F.... and the smoker running at 67 F.... I have bacon in there now and do NOT want the smoker to get above 100 ish... Preferably never get above 70 F for cold smoked bacon...
DIMMER operation 004.JPG .... DIMMER operation 001.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky