Strombolis...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ellymae

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 21, 2009
Southeastern PA
Had the day off and had some pizza dough laying around begging to be thrown into the Egg.
I stuffed them with sausage, meatballs, pepperoni, onion, fresh tomato, black olives, mozzarella, and provolone and fresh basil.
We made 2, and the ruler that is in between them is a 15 inches... These were monsters.
Ate one for supper and will have the other for lunch....

And after 3 hours in the pool, this is what my dog looked like - had to take a picture since it doesn't happen very often....

Amazing looking strombolis.I need to try this while i have fresh veggies.

Those green eggs sure are versatile.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Now that looks awesome. Miss some stromboli, no such thing down this way....Nice job....Oh I could go for one of those now or a Cheesesteak stromboli...

Those look great, we have an Italian pizzeria here that make some killer Stromboli.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks guys - they were pretty tasty!
I cooked them at 500 degrees. The one on the right went about 30 minutes, the one on the left I cooked 2nd and it went about 20ish minutes.

I would be happy to... but first I would have to steal it from my local bakery.... and I don't think that is going to happen... sorry.

Thanks for the pics ellymae!
icon_wink.gif

I like the platesetter placement on top of the grate.

I need to try that set up in my Egg.

Excellent looking stromboli! We call them calzones but they taste the same.
icon_mrgreen.gif

WOWthats all I can say about those stomboli's they look awesome and really good tasting too I bet.
points.gif
definetly on the dough can i have the recipe also. great job

Bill - that was me being lazy... and I wanted to give the grates a good cleaning...

mballi - I must confess - I buy my dougn from a local bakery...

Those things look great ellymae.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I was going to ask what the difference between a stromboli & a calzone was but it sounds like they are the same thing.

When I was a kid we used to get deep fried calzones in the Farmer's Market in Fresno. I can still taste em.
tongue.gif

But every calzone I've had since then has been baked & its just not the same. And they were served only one way, an Italian spiced finely ground beef with mozzarella. Anyone else had a deep fried calzone?

I just ate a feta/spinach stuffed chicken tit and those are still making me salivate.

Oh, and the Sicilian in me wants to inform you all (especially The Iceman) that technically a Panzerotti is a calzone, but it's deep fried. Yep. You heard right.

There's a greasy spoon not four blocks from me that specializes in panzerotti's that advertises as "The heart attack capitol of the country". Oh yeah.

They also have a cheesy beef with fries and a drink for $4.50 24/7. And they deliver up untill 4AM. Again... You heard right.

I agree with trashcan, a Panzerotti it a deep fried calzone.

Want to try a good strom? Make cheesesteak fixins and put that in a stromboli! MMmmmm....

Calzone I think of more ricotta and mozz cheese with maybe ham..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky