Strip cut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bytor

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 16, 2020
So, I get these from time to time when they go on sale. Which is kind of odd as I never see these in the store at their listed "full price" but they always just seem to appear on the shelf with this tremendous mark down. Hmm, sounds like a sale gimmick to me. However, I digress... I would usually slice this , the best I can, into 1-1/2" thick cuts and reverse sear them. I was wondering how this would turn out if I cooked like a rib roast and also reversed seared it. The other option I'm considering is to add some veggies to a dutch oven and cook this really hot. Anyone out there have any preference on how to cook this not in the usual steak fashion?

Thanks

Strip.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
I can't believe the 'CH' refers to chuck, unless it's a chuck eye steak, or cut from the rear of the chuck roll which would be the end of the rib. Usually you only get one or two steaks from that area. Would the 'CH' refer to USDS Choice?

'Strip' almost always refers to a strip steak from the loin primal (short loin, or top loin) and the $13/lb would suggest that. Have any photos of these outside the package?

I can't believe the 'CH' refers to chuck, unless it's a chuck eye steak, or cut from the rear of the chuck roll which would be the end of the rib. Usually you only get one or two steaks from that area. Would the 'CH' refer to USDS Choice?

'Strip' almost always refers to a strip steak from the loin primal (short loin, or top loin) and the $13/lb would suggest that. Have any photos of these outside the package?
CH=choice maybe?

No photos yet, but I can say the reverse side is a complete fat cap.

B Bytor , looks like you made a great score.
Not being able to see the whole cut, but judging from the information on the scale lable.
I would say that is a choice boneless strip loin half. Our local Kroger affiliate recently also had their family packs boneless strip steaks for $5.99 per pound.
I would cut into steaks, or cook similar to a rib roast.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky