Storing brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
Not sure where to post this question but I’m gonna smoke a brisket and freeze it. What temp should I let the brisket fall to before vac sealing and freezing?

I would let cool a hour or 2 depending on how you rest it, you don't want it to pour the juices out as you slice it, I vaced some slices and reheated with the SV and they came out great, tasted like I had just sliced it from a brisket just pulled from the fire. 140 reheat works for me without fear of running the moisture out or over cooking it.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I let mine sit in the fridge overnight , then vac unsliced . Reheat SV at 140 ish . Like Mike said , just like it came off the smoker .

We do as the other’s said, freeze in bigger pieces , but add some au jus to the bag. Freeze it, & then vac seal it, so the liquid doesn’t come out of the top of the bag. Then just reheat in simmering water & slice & enjoy. I really can’t tell the difference between a couple of months frozen, or right off the smoker.
Al

We do as the other’s said, freeze in bigger pieces , but add some au jus to the bag. Freeze it, & then vac seal it, so the liquid doesn’t come out of the top of the bag. Then just reheat in simmering water & slice & enjoy. I really can’t tell the difference between a couple of months frozen, or right off the smoker.
Al
Thanks everyone, so let it cool to room temp, then fridge overnight, then cut into large sections and vac seal, making sure I have that right. This brisket is gonna have an ocean of juices flow into the pan below it as it cooks so you think I should add some of that to the freeze bags or just add it to the brisket when I rewarm? Thinking latter might help save the bark. It’s interesting but the expert that sold me this thing said the cooking method is to smoke to 180, let sit in the cooling smoker for 1 hour wrapped in pink paper, then cooler for 3 more. Due to the fat content you can’t take it to normal temps, will be near probe tender at 170 to 180 . Gonna do the cook early next week while the kids are on school and out of my hair! Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone, so let it cool to room temp, then fridge overnight, then cut into large sections and vac seal, making sure I have that right. This brisket is gonna have an ocean of juices flow into the pan below it as it cooks so you think I should add some of that to the freeze bags or just add it to the brisket when I rewarm? Thinking latter might help save the bark. It’s interesting but the expert that sold me this thing said the cooking method is to smoke to 180, let sit in the cooling smoker for 1 hour wrapped in pink paper, then cooler for 3 more. Due to the fat content you can’t take it to normal temps, will be near probe tender at 170 to 180 . Gonna do the cook early next week while the kids are on school and out of my hair! Thanks everyone
Add it in the bags with the brisket pieces.

Reactions: chopsaw
but add some au jus to the bag. Freeze it, & then vac seal it, so the liquid doesn’t come out of the top of the bag.
If I add juice I do it like Al .
I just did one 2 weeks ago . Had been in the freezer a month or two .
This is after SV at 145 for 2 1/2 hours from frozen
20200927_173944.jpg
20200927_174102.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky