Storing bags of pellets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ordinary guy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 5, 2015
Pittsburgh
What and where is the best way to store bags of lumberjack pellets?

I dont usually buy large quantities so i am at a loss if storing in a garage is ok or does hearmt and cold make a differenc etc. etc

I have a Home Depot 5 gal. bucket w/lid to store my excess lumberjack pellets in, I pour half a 40 lb. bag into my pellet grill out on the back porch ,l then put the rest in the bucket and put the lid on it. Leave it out there summer and winter.

I have a Home Depot 5 gal. bucket w/lid to store my excess lumberjack pellets in, I pour half a 40 lb. bag into my pellet grill out on the back porch ,l then put the rest in the bucket and put the lid on it. Leave it out there summer and winter.
And that is better than leaving them in plasric bags?

I have used old (cleaned out) cat litter 40lb buckets in my garage. Seems to work fine. Mainly try to keep the moisture out if you can.

Last edited:
I leave them in the bag in my carport without any problems, when I open 1 it goes into a locking bucket type deal that looks to be about 5 gal and is water proof, Only time I have seen pellets swell is from a few that were spilled unloading to put in a different flavor, was next to the no wall side and they really swell up lol

I keep mine in air tight plastic storage bins (the ones with gaskets on the lids) if they are open and outside but I prefer to keep the bags inside the house, cool and dry.

What and where is the best way to store bags of lumberjack pellets?

I dont usually buy large quantities so i am at a loss if storing in a garage is ok or does hearmt and cold make a differenc etc. etc
I use Kingsford Kaddys. Don't be swayed by the description, they hold 40 Lbs of pellets!

Screenshot 2020-05-30 07.56.19.png

I leave them in the bag in my carport without any problems, when I open 1 it goes into a locking bucket type deal that looks to be about 5 gal and is water proof, Only time I have seen pellets swell is from a few that were spilled unloading to put in a different flavor, was next to the no wall side and they really swell up lol
Mine stays in the bags they came in, inside the garage with no problems. As long as their are no water leaks, they should be fine.

I have heard the only thing avoid is setting bags directly on concrete. Story read several places was that some how they break down to dust from some "reaction" with concrete... Just repeating what i read - no idea if its true. Took the advice to be careful.

I leave mine in the bags on milk crates to avoid concrete and water. I have a 5 gallon HD bucket with a lid for partial bags to be dumped into.

FYI, Ace Hardwares and True Value Hardwares carry the Kingsford Kaddys. Lowes did at one time. Doesn't look like they do now.

They come in three sizes. 11 lb cap., 24 lb, and 55 lb.

Reactions: ordinary guy
I live in California so humidity is not an issue. I leave mine in the garage in the plastic bag it comes in. Just roll to close. I put the pellets in a 5 gal bucket if I mix them (blend) and if I am keeping them out by the cooker.

The Kingsford Caddy's work well, so will plastic containers. You can store the bags in your garage as long as you keep them off the floor. I have most of mine in the original bags stacked on a pallet, on my garage floor. I also have about 5 large airtight plastic containers and 1 KC that I use for blending flavors and filling the grill. When I get low in the container I am using, I will open another bag and refill it.

Reactions: ordinary guy
Thanks for the tip Schlotz. Buddeez (who makes these for Kingsford) appears to have 2 models: a 4-gallon model intended for 12# Kingsford sacks and an 8-gallon one for 24# of briquettes. Pellets are ~6.2 #/gallon so 20# of pellets fits fine in the small one and 40# in the large one. Since they're designed to be modular & stackable, I'd prefer pouring from a smaller one. Unfortunately Amazon's price for one smaller one is even more than a 2X larger one so you're fiscally motivated to be strong here. (Eat your meat.)
There are some amazon complaints of rodents eating through the plastic but I assume people were storing pet food, not wood pellets, in them.
Another option is a 20 gal trashcan. The snap-on Rubbermaid lid is not air tight, but the design effectively deflects rain. They readily hold a couple open sacks of pellets side-by-side for multiple "flavors" on tap. When filled with 120# of pellets they're not easily moved but a 4# Folgers plastic coffee can makes a great scoop and is good for at least 3 hours of cooking.
13-gallon is a common size as well but lid designs don't appear to handle heavy rains so would be limited to sheds or garages only.

I get the Home Depot (or Lowes) 5 gallon buckets. They're only around $3.50 each and then I get a "gamma seal" type lid that has a screw on top and a gasket. That piece is about $7 or $8. Pellets stay nice and dry no matter the weather and you can stack the buckets. I mark the buckets with a Sharpie pen so I know what flavor is inside.

I get the Home Depot (or Lowes) 5 gallon buckets. They're only around $3.50 each and then I get a "gamma seal" type lid that has a screw on top and a gasket. That piece is about $7 or $8. Pellets stay nice and dry no matter the weather and you can stack the buckets. I mark the buckets with a Sharpie pen so I know what flavor is inside.
this is exactly what i do as well, gamma seal lids are great. so far its been working great for me, got a bucket for each type of wood, usually keep them in the garage but i have forgotten one outside once or twice, pellets stayed dry in rain and snow, and no issues in freezing temps. as a bonus the food safe buckets are great for brining stuff too :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky