storing bacon fat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I recall the old 'bacon grease' tins... know I saw one at my grandmothers house and yep, frying was done with bacon grease and it was always added to cornbread... scrambled eggs in bacon grease... yum.

I use a heavy plastic jar that malt extract came in... and it stays in the back of the fridge.

All the cooks in my family have a small crock for bacon grease. Might be about 5" high or so. I don't think any of us put them in the fridge. None of use strainers either, hell there's a lot of flavor your chunking out if ya do. Hasn't killed anyone yet.

I may be viewed as an over-cautious type sometimes...but my bacon fat is just as Yard dog says... covered in a crock by the stove and not strained. It gets turned over pretty fast :{) And every couple months when it's low..I wash it out and start a new one.

I to remember some of this but a question I should ask what about breakfast sausage grease? Its pork.

Pete

I'd buy that for a dollar!
biggrin.gif

Ah man, you guys reminded me I've not popped popcorn in bacon grease in a while!

I pour the bacon grease into mason jars and keep them in a cabinet. When I have saved a bunch, it all goes into a heavy pot and gets re-melted on the stove. I then run it through a paper filter and a (metal) funnel into a larger mason jar that I keep covered in the fridge for use. I also make bacon cubes.

By that I mean I spray ice cube trays with Pam and then pour in the cooled and filtered liquid, one tablespoon into each hole. Once they are frozen, I pop them out and keep them in a Ziploc bag. That way I can use them one T at a time without measuring. The larger fridge jar is for frying and such, the cubes for more precise recipes.

But I'm just funny that way...

I heat a cast iron skillet on the stove. Cook a little bacon in it to get some grease. Then I pour cornbread mix in while it is still hot ( I have turned off the flame). Mix the bacon some cheese and some peppers in before I pour it. The heat browns the bottom of the corn bread then I put it in the oven and bake it. This can be a meal in itself but with beans YUMMMMM
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky