Store bought Salam smoking / preserving

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bronco524

Original poster
Nov 3, 2021
B bronco524 :

I have a question. I bought 3 1/2-4 lbs of salami already wrapped in plastic at the store. I would like to let it stand out without refrigeration. I had some before that after a while ( approx 1-2 wks) you could taste the rancid in it turning. I read a post on here that it can be smoked but how much would it shrink during the smoking/ preserving process and how long would it take? It is approx., 3 1/2" x 9" Do I use any wood or would some wood interfere with the taste of it. What would you suggest for wood to smoke with?
Sincerely and thanks
Bronco524
P.S. You can send answers to:[email protected] if you would like

Best to cold smoke salami and try to keep the temp. below about 77*F or the fat structure will be affected.
With dry cured meats, smoking is an extension of the drying process...it is drying with smoke I recommend cold smoking salami at night because of the high humidity at night. 40-55*F is perfect temp at night.....

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I have a question. I bought 3 1/2-4 lbs of salami already wrapped in plastic at the store. I would like to let it stand out without refrigeration. I had some before that after a while ( approx 1-2 wks) you could taste the rancid in it turning.
This type of store bought salami, shrink wrapped in plastic, has a higher AW content than a traditional made salami. This means the moisture content is high. The drying process is the key to shelf stable meats. Those plastic wrapped store salami are not workable, really. Most are fast fermented commercial process for consumption, not made for storage once removed from the plastic.

Reactions: indaswamp
Best to cold smoke salami and try to keep the temp. below about 77*F or the fat structure will be affected.
With dry cured meats, smoking is an extension of the drying process...it is drying with smoke I recommend cold smoking salami at night because of the high humidity at night. 40-55*F is perfect temp at night.....
Thanks for the answer. Another question regarding this is, I only have a stove in my apt and can put it at its lowest temp which is approx. 160* shows as 'warm' on the dial. So I am at a lost. I have read some post regarding smoking. One had a bowl of wood (hickory), dry and some have the wood soaked with water, using a electric burner at it's lowest setting which is low on the dial & no temp reading. How do you keep the temp to below or about 77*

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky