Stocking up on cabbage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Being that time of year they have cabbage on sale an I’m out I stocked up. Had it for $.39 a lb. Bought 6 heads to chop up for freezer.
3D260BF1-4829-41F9-8100-4E13391C7215.jpeg

Got 5 3 lbs bags. Kept 2 that’s going in frig for Easter hog maw.
8FB7875C-EC1A-4691-A71F-CF69C33A90B4.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Nice how does it hold up in the freezer? And for how long?
Holds up in freezer great. Never kept track of how long but know we have it for many months maybe up to a year. The trick to it is not to let it thaw out. Will get slimy. Take it while frozen an add to whatever your making while it's hot. Like a boiling pot of soup or a hot skillet for fried sausage & cabbage. We eat a lot of cabbage this way. It comes out like it was fresh cut. Had a old timer tell me about this many years ago an have been doing ever since.
Time to start some more sauerkraut.
Yea I should have because I'm out myself. Really didn't think of it. Might go get more today to make a small batch.
Nice hash knife!
Thanks! Never knew the name of this knife but definitely cuts down on wrist fatigue compared to using a knife. Does keep a nice sharp edge on it. I got it at local Bent & Dent Amish store for a couple of bucks. There isn't a brand name on it though.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Holds up in freezer great. Never kept track of how long but know we have it for many months maybe up to a year. The trick to it is not to let it thaw out. Will get slimy. Take it while frozen an add to whatever your making while it's hot.
So you don't blanch it, just chop it up and freeze it fresh?

Yup! Just chop & bag. Make sure to get as much air out of bag as possible to keep from freezer burning. 3# fills a gallon ziplock full. With the way cabbage goes together when cooked 3# is about perfect for 2 for a meal. If you try it let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Yup! Just chop & bag. Make sure to get as much air out of bag as possible to keep from freezer burning. 3# fills a gallon ziplock full. With the way cabbage goes together when cooked 3# is about perfect for 2 for a meal. If you try it let me know your thoughts.
I see cabbage on sale this week for 39¢/lb. at a local store, KJ's, so I'm going to try it. Thanks...

Never thought about freezing it. Would freezing on a tray, then adding to bags work? I'm thinking of only using a handful or two at a time.

Well here goes nothing. Just over 3 lb. head chopped and vacuum sealed. We'll see...
20220316_150309[1].jpg

I'll probably go get a couple more heads...

Never thought about freezing it. Would freezing on a tray, then adding to bags work? I'm thinking of only using a handful or two at a time.
Sure! Don’t see why not.

I'm also gonna try it. We love cabbage but never have it on hand when I want it
That’s the reason we started freezing it. When that old timer told me about it I almost told him he was full of crap because he is at times. Just his way of messing with ya but you got to listen to them because they do have knowledge from long ago.

KJ’s moved in around me here in the Spartanburg area, I’ll have to swing by one

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky