Sticks for hanging sausages in smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I originally used wooden dowels but recently cut a 1/2" aluminum angle rail into U shape and attached it towards the top of the smoker with some self taping screws, got some more aluminum angle to hang the sticks on and been using that since it doesn't roll around like dowels. If you go that route make sure you grab angle that's thick enough that it will hold the weight and the angle is long enough that it'll prevent your sausage from touching the strand on the other side, messed up on that part for mine and need to get something wider as my snack sticks were touching in the center which left me with a nice red color on it with a greyish stripe down the length where it had been touching.

Reactions: tallbm
OK, so I've mentioned in another thread or two that I was the queen of over-thinking...

If I take a 1x6, drill holes down the center big enough to accommodate the dowels (thinking hardwood dowels, 1/2 - 3/4" in diameter), cut in half through the center of the holes, cut each half to the depth of my smoker, and then simply bolt them onto the sides about 4" from the top of the smoker, I'm golden.

And I even have a set of hole saws, spade bits, forstner bits...AND a drill press!

GLORY BE! :emoji_astonished:

OK, so I've mentioned in another thread or two that I was the queen of over-thinking...

If I take a 1x6, drill holes down the center big enough to accommodate the dowels (thinking hardwood dowels, 1/2 - 3/4" in diameter), cut in half through the center of the holes, cut each half to the depth of my smoker, and then simply bolt them onto the sides about 4" from the top of the smoker, I'm golden.

And I even have a set of hole saws, spade bits, forstner bits...AND a drill press!

This is how I built the holders for dowel rods in my big smoker. Works great, but I really don’t think this is necessary in your case. Just snug fitting dowels width wise slid in where the rack would go is sufficient, but your idea works too, it’s just over kill IMHO. You are on the right track, whatever you do will work fine I’m sure.

If you add angles you won't need the wood . You can use the rack with hooks , or use the rods right on the angles .
1672234012196.jpeg
1672234097415.jpeg

Greetings,

I'm brand new to all this and I was just planning to do this in my MB for some snack stick ropes.
I'm going McGiver with a low tech, in a pinch solution.
Jumbo skewers zip tied together...
12:28:22_skewers.JPG

That would do it!

If you use an untreated Oak Board then you could avoid any nasty chemicals or pine/cedar issues since you plan to fasten the board inside the smoker permanently.

Home Depot has Oak 1x6 boards listed and not an arm and a leg for a simple project like this:

You can skip the part where you bolt it in if you go a bit thinner, I made these a while back and the bottom section slots into the space between the rail and the wall on the MES.

1672250689909.png

I replaced it with an aluminum angle rail at the top of the smoker because my original solution of 2x4 in a U shape did a better job with airflow in combination with my auber circulation fan, think having the 2x4/angle on the back made it move air through the entire chamber instead of just blowing air from the bottom out the vent above it. I've been tempted to redirect the vent to the center with some aluminum gutter.

Her smoker has the formed sides for the racks to slide in . I added angles 1 1/2" down from the top so I can hang 20" chubs of SS.

Reactions: Ardbeg and wesir
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky