Steam Injected Step Mash (Big Beer View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alelover

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Brew Session from a couple years ago. Still use the same system.

The Mash Tun

ab39abef_IMG_3121.jpg

And it's parts.

be1bcabc_IMG_3123.jpg

Assembled.

e76df2b7_IMG_3130.jpg

Hooking up the steam generator. It's an altered pressure cooker.

c3c365cb_IMG_3142.jpg

0b8982bc_IMG_3146.jpg

The Mash. It will be a porter.

ac385d17_IMG_3173.jpg

Bringing up the pressure.

069385c9_IMG_3162.jpg

694eede8_IMG_3178.jpg

22 PSI. Time to steam the mash and bring it up to 155.

89739eed_IMG_3182.jpg

Stirring while steaming to keep temps even as they rise.

76ed54dd_IMG_3177.jpg

155. Let her sit for an hour then sparge.

734d6531_IMG_3200.jpg

Sparging on the 3 Tier gravity system.

b39f752c_IMG_3210.jpg

Tasting a few while we wait for the boil to start.

199b02f3_IMG_3215.jpg

Almost boiling.

aaba064b_IMG_3221.jpg

We be boiling.

d8e4813d_IMG_3223.jpg

Time to chill.

cb78bae7_IMG_3226.jpg

Letting the cold break fall for a bit.

18441fcb_IMG_3265.jpg

Sanitized carboys awaiting the fine wort.

6a57c427_IMG_3269.jpg

Into the carboys we go. Like black gold.

49a80f51_IMG_3283.jpg

Time to pitch some yeast. WLP-002. Big ass starter of it.

f799bf0f_IMG_3302.jpg

c6320794_IMG_3310.jpg

64 degrees. Perfect.

08180ed2_IMG_3312.jpg

Thanks for viewing.

Last edited:
Reactions: o0infidel0o
Nice qview for making beer, I think I'll just by my beer at the store. How much time does it take to make beer like that and how did it taste?

Man that looks like a ton of work. You know they have beer at the store right. haha Just kidding. I have several buddies that have just gotten into brewing and they love it. I have yet to try any to see if it is better then just going to the store. I can't wait to try some.

I brew also, just finished a brown ale this past weekend. I find it funny anyone on this forum saying its a lot of work when you can smoke meat for 20 hours.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Looks great!  We have a place called the Brew Kettle about an hour from here.  several of us go up a once or twice a year.  They have it all set up.  you can use one of their many recipes or your own.  spend a couple hours making it, and of course sampling others while there.  they do all the clean up and you come back in a month or so depending on what your'e makeing and bottle it.  Congrats on all that work at home.

I'm really into the steam systems, If and when i ever start to do any upgrading on my set up i always thought of going the steam injection route it seems to be rather effective and not to much in cost to get one up and running granted you have the larger essentials already.

Are you using the steam to heat your strike water or just for mash temp increases...? If so how long is it taking to reach mash in temp by way of steam injection

Last edited:
I use the steam for raising mash temp. I can raise it about a degree a minute which is good for step mashes. I heat my strike water on my outside burner and transfer it to my bucket on the fridge with a big pot. Someday I'll build a real 3 tier where I won't have to do that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky