Steak and Taters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

912smoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 29, 2020
Statesboro Ga
But not just any taters. Thanks to SmokinEdge SmokinEdge
and his melting potatoes recipe it was over the top !

Stopped in the local Food Lion for the $1.99 lb pork tenderloin sale and spotted these Denver steaks @ $7.99 lb. Just me and the wifey tonight so perfect size for 2. Massaged all with W sauce and her 2 ( 1 for me )with her favorite coffee rub . Applied
these
20220130_112853.jpg
on the on the others .
Thanks to Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle for the Iowa's and Justin Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ
for the HGH ! Both are excellent! 20220129_173711.jpg
On the MBGF 1050 @ 550 for 2 min each side then a flip and repeat.
20220129_174621.jpg
Didn't check IT too closely but guessing 135ish . Just wanted a good sear.
20220129_175518.jpg
20220130_112853.jpg 20220129_173711.jpg 20220129_174621.jpg

20220129_175518.jpg
Followed SmokinEdge SmokinEdge
on the potatoes but cheated and used a roasted garlic and herb blend from McCormick.
The steaks were great but his melted potatoes STOLE the show !
The wife says these be now be added to the regular rotation lol !
20220129_182015.jpg

Thanks for looking and give those taters a try !

Keith

Edit :
Sorry for the duplicate pics.
Don't know how to delete

Last edited:
But not just any taters. Thanks to SmokinEdge SmokinEdge
and his melting potatoes recipe it was over the top !

Stopped in the local Food Lion for the $1.99 lb pork tenderloin sale and spotted these Denver steaks @ $7.99 lb. Just me and the wifey tonight so perfect size for 2. Massaged all with W sauce and her 2 ( 1 for me )with her favorite coffee rub . Applied
these
View attachment 523917
on the on the others .
Thanks to Ryan Brokenhandle Brokenhandle for the Iowa's and Justin Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ
for the HGH ! Both are excellent!View attachment 523918
On the MBGF 1050 @ 550 for 2 min each side then a flip and repeat.
View attachment 523919
Didn't check IT too closely but guessing 135ish . Just wanted a good sear.
View attachment 523920
View attachment 523917View attachment 523918View attachment 523919

View attachment 523920
Followed SmokinEdge SmokinEdge
on the potatoes but cheated and used a roasted garlic and herb blend from McCormick.
The steaks were great but his melted potatoes STOLE the show !
The wife says these be now be added to the regular rotation lol !
View attachment 523922

Thanks for looking and give those taters a try !

Keith

Edit :
Sorry for the duplicate pics.
Don't know how to delete
Thanks for the tag. I’m sure glad you had a chance to try those spuds. Yeah, they are definitely on another level of goodness. Sometimes these potatoes are called fondant potatoes, I like melting better cuz when you pour the liquid in the pan they sure look like they are melting!
Looks like you made an incredible meal. Nice work.

Reactions: 912smoker
Thanks for the tag. I’m sure glad you had a chance to try those spuds. Yeah, they are definitely on another level of goodness. Sometimes these potatoes are called fondant potatoes, I like melting better cuz when you pour the liquid in the pan they sure look like they are melting!
Looks like you made an incredible meal. Nice work.
And thanks again for the detailed cook !
And your pics and descriptions help me to convince Kim that it should be attempted!
My pics didn't do the spuds justice but I was just ask ....spelled TOLD....to make them again tonight with the pork tenderloin. Yes ma'am absolutely 😎

Reactions: SmokinEdge
And thanks again for the detailed cook !
And your pics and descriptions help me to convince Kim that it should be attempted!
My pics didn't do the spuds justice but I was just ask ....spelled TOLD....to make them again tonight with the pork tenderloin. Yes ma'am absolutely 😎
Yeah buddy!

Those potatoes are the best and should be served with every meal every day. You’re wife is correct 912smoker 912smoker .

As SmokinEdge SmokinEdge pointed out the other name for these is Fondant Potatoes. Chef Tom over at ATBBQ (All Things BBQ) has the recipe on his YouTube channel if anyone needs a visual to follow along.

That’s a nice video. Thanks for posting that, it’s real easy to follow.
Just a couple points from me.
1) use Yukon gold potatoes
2) use duck fat to cook them, you can ad some butter at the end.
3) here is my thread just for reference

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/tri-tip-with-melting-potatoes.311394/

Those potatoes are the best and should be served with every meal every day. You’re wife is correct 912smoker 912smoker .

As SmokinEdge SmokinEdge pointed out the other name for these is Fondant Potatoes. Chef Tom over at ATBBQ (All Things BBQ) has the recipe on his YouTube channel if anyone needs a visual to follow along.

Thank you sir and another vote lol.
Yes they are great and a very rewarding cook !

Reactions: Sven Svensson
That’s a nice video. Thanks for posting that, it’s real easy to follow.
Just a couple points from me.
1) use Yukon gold potatoes
2) use duck fat to cook them, you can ad some butter at the end.
3) here is my thread just for reference

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/tri-tip-with-melting-potatoes.311394/
I like you Yukon spuds too.
Didn't have Duck fat this time so used butter and a little bacon grease. Same plan for tonight as the Duck fat has disappeared from the shelves down here.
And I added a link to your post at the top too !

Keith

I like you Yukon spuds too.
Didn't have Duck fat this time so used butter and a little bacon grease. Same plan for tonight as the Duck fat has disappeared from the shelves down here.
And I added a link to your post at the top too !

Keith
The butter works fine, but the duck fat is outrageous.
Thanks for the link. I hope everyone who wants to has a chance to try these potatoes, they really are special.

That looks delicious Keith! Glad you liked the seasoning also. I'd definitely go back for seconds!

Ryan

That looks delicious Keith! Glad you liked the seasoning also. I'd definitely go back for seconds!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan the steaks were tender with great flavor. But had to make the spuds AGAIN last night ? 🤣
Don't know why I punish myself like that

Keith

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Thanks Ryan the steaks were tender with great flavor. But had to make the spuds AGAIN last night ? 🤣
Don't know why I punish myself like that

Keith
Did you remember the cheese? Lol We have our spuds in the oven as we speak! Cheese is sitting on the counter

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky