Standing Rib Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

payson

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 17, 2006
Columbia SC
Now that a few family members have tried my 3-2-1 ribs and smoked fatties I've been recruited to do a standing rib roast for Christmas. It'll need to serve about 8 people. I'd love any hints, tips, recipes, temps, etc... So far this sight has made me a culinary hero! Thanks for all the help thus far! :D

Prime Rib or Standing rib roast
1 (5 to 6) pound prime rib
1/2 cup coarsely cracked pepper
1/2 tsp ground cardamom seeds
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup vinegar

Trim as needed, combine pepper and cardamom and rub into the beef. Place in a shallow dish. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over beef. Place in refrigerator for 12 hours or more, rotating every few hours. Remove from marinade and smoke.

Pit temp of 225º to 250º will give you an even finish through out the roast

Pit temp of 325º + will give you a crusted exterior with rare center product.

Jim

Jim, Thanks for sharing your Standing Rib Roast recipe. I have a 4 bone rib roast hanging out in the freezer for Christmas Eve Dinner. Haven't decided to brave the cold (been fighting a head and chest cold for about 3 weeks now) and smoke it or stay smart and warm and pop it in the oven. :roll:

Dutch
This cook is a recipe I have adapted from one that was done completely in an oven and I like it very much. Smoke adds another layer of flavor I enjoy very much.

I decided to be a nice guy and give my guys Christmas weekend off since we are closed Christmas Day. So I'm working the morning of Christmas Eve day. Looks like it's going be up to Mrs. Dutch to get things going for Christmas Eve Supper. I get a rub on the roast and into the fridge the night before and then she can put the roast into the oven.

Thanks again for shareing your recipes!!

Dutch, I have been told I am smoking an 11 lb standing rib roast for the day before Christmas. I haven't done much beef yet and I am not sure how much time to plan on. I will be cooking it at about 225 degrees and it has to be served at 1:00 pm. Do you hav any suggestions?

ps I just had another shoulder surgery on my left shoulder, the first one failed I guess the Dr forgot how to tie knots the all came undone.

Merry Christmas Everyone

Mark!! Glad you still with us. I just caught up with this post to late to offer any advice that will help you. If you're planning for a 1 pm feed, you will need an early start. Use the 1 1/2 hour per pound rule should have you smoking that roast for 16 1/2 hours :shock: You would have to get that roast started about 9:00 pm last night. Somehow I'm thinking that 16 hours would be a might long. Here is a link where a 325 pit temp is suggested. Being as how the standing rib is a tender cut of beef, it doesn't need the "low and slow" to break down the connective tissue.

I've had you in my prayers. Sorry to hear that you went under the knife again. Hope this time the Doc got it right! Maybe he should of had his Scoutmaster standing along side to make sure the knots got tied right!! :P

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!

I'm going to do a 6 lb. prime rib tomorrow (Saturday) on my Brinkman and want to do it rare, so have decided to go with the 325ºF

Using a dry rub only overnight.

Weather is cold and miserable, but I'm commited .... ;o)

There will be pics ...

At this temp. how long do you think it will take to get to 140º internal?

Also would a spray of apple juice or beer be beneficial?

I appreciate any and all advice on this as I don't want to mess it up!

Happy Easter everyone!

Squeezy

I have been tasked with smoking two 12 lb. Prime Rib (whole ribeyes) for a Graduation party on June 30th.

Just searching the forum for any tips and tricks to keep me from screwing up $200 in meat.

So anyone got any more info they would like to share?

P.S. I will also be doing two 9 lb turkey breast (pre-cooked). Any reccommendations? I plan on using apple wood for the smoke on the turkey breast.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky