Stainless steel OK to use inside smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncsmoker95

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Hi all a quick question here,

I'm making a baffle plate for my smoker and quite possibly some tuning plates.

I was able to pick up some 1/8th inch stainles steel at the scrap yard, and am cutting it to fit.

It occurred to me I'd better seek a wider opinion of whether stainless is okay on the inside of a smoker.

Seems obvious that it would be OK, since most grills (like my CharBroil and others) appear to be made out of stainless but I figured it was worth an ask.

As we learned an engineering it never hurts to ask.... Once in a while what you thought you knew was wrong for some reason you weren't thinking of.

Yes stainless is the perfectly ok to use inside a smoker. Commercial food grade smokers have to be stainless by code in most places.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flatrate
It will be fine!
What are you cutting it with? Depending on the blend of alloys it could be very hard and destroy a saw blade quickly. Don't bother with an O/A cutting torch because even the mighty blue knife doesn't work on stainless.

It will be fine!
What are you cutting it with? Depending on the blend of alloys it could be very hard and destroy a saw blade quickly. Don't bother with an O/A cutting torch because even the mighty blue knife doesn't work on stainless.
Plasma cutter is the way to go

Neater cuts and less cleanup with other cutting methods is all. My O/A torch mostly sits there unless I need to heat something, these days.
I also don't stick weld much anymore unless it's something really heavy. I use the MIG for most everything.

I did this tractor canopy a few years ago and all the brackets and frame parts were done with a cutoff wheel and everything was welded with MIG. Pruned a few tree limbs with it since I put it on there ........... it ain't going anywhere.

1680405172977.png

Reactions: pit 4 brains
I don't think anyone stick welds any more other than underwater or structural.. I dunno, been out of construction a long time.
I keep my eyes open for an older lincoln AC buzz box. They are solid. My lincoln FCAW took a dirt nap while I was building my smoker. I put a new torch assy and feed rollers on it to no avail.

Back to the OP ncsmoker95 ncsmoker95 ,
Is this a new plate for an existing smoker or a new build?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky