St Louis Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RubenG

Original poster
Apr 6, 2020
I wanted to see if I could get some help with cooking pork ribs with the 3-2-1 method. Although I have done this in the past with great results, this past weekend I tried cooking two racks and when I got them out of the foil the ribs were shinny black and chard. I seasoned my ribs overnight with my usual dry rub and raw sugar. After the first 3 hours on the Joe @ 225 deg. I placed them in double foil with butter, brown sugar, honey, and a little grape juice. After leaving them on the Joe for 2 hours completely sealed @ 225 deg., when I got them out they were black.

Any ideas or suggestions on how to prevent this? As I said, I have tried this same method before and the ribs have come out perfectly. Not sure what caused them to get black this time since the temp never got above 225-230 deg. during the entire process. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ruben.

Attachments

• ribs2 (2).jpg
    ribs2 (2).jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 19
  • ribs3 (2).jpg
    ribs3 (2).jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 31
  • ribs (3).jpg
    ribs (3).jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 30
Not sure why they turned out black this time if you had success in the past. It looks like they got too hot. If you dont have one, I would definitely get a digital thermometer to monitor the temps inside the grill vs relying on the built in unit. Inkbird just posted a discount code for one of their units on here last week.

You guys don't think the grape juice may have caused a problem? Also, does having too much brown/raw sugar cause this as well?

Thanks.

Would using the wrong side of aluminum foil have anything to do with it? I have heard folk talk about shiny side in or out. I am just trying to learn!

I do not know. I always keep the shinny side to the outside.

Would using the wrong side of aluminum foil have anything to do with it? I have heard folk talk about shiny side in or out. I am just trying to learn!
I don't think that makes any difference.
Seems like a lot of stuff to foil with, but if it's been OK in the past I'm guessing it got a little too hot.

That would be my guess is that the temps slipped up a little higher than anticipated. Lot of additional sugars to burn if not completely sealed up and steam was allowed to escape.

Ok then gmc has you covered. You probably put it in foil meat side up. With all the sugar,honey etc it burned. If you lay meat side down the meat will braise in the liquid and keep the sugars from burning
Actually, it was meat side down with the bone side facing up. Opposite of how I had them on the grill the first 3 hrs. There was plenty of juice and shine on the meat side, just chard black.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky