SQWIBS Jerky Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sqwib

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 25, 2007
Philadelphia
I could not find my post with this information, so I figure I would post this, I removed as many links as I could sorry if I missed any.

Disclaimer... it is up to you as the cook to ensure your jerky is safe and you are up to date on food safety, this is how I have made my jerky in the past.

JERKY
Jerky+Cartoon+jpg.jpg

Please read the general notes before making jerky.

• Select the meat you will be using and place it in the freezer for 2 hours or so, this will make it easier to slice.
8080289389_2f56c068ab_z.jpg

• Having a good quality slicer is a great tool for making jerky.
8080303987_8d55ff39e0_z.jpg

• Remove any fat or nasty bits from the meat, Flank Steak (erroneously named London Broils) is one of the cuts of meat I prefer for Jerky Making. Slice the meat to your preferred thickness, I do mine at 1/4". For a heavy chew with whole muscle meat, slice it with the grain, for a soft chew, slice across the grain. Meat sliced and ready to be marinated.
8080295793_f5de614998_z.jpg

• Weigh the meat and figure out the correct amount of TQ to use, too much and its too salty, too little and it can become unsafe at lower drying temps.
8080290237_71f0a642b6_z.jpg

• Mix all ingredients together with the exception of the meat. Allow the ingredients at least 15 minutes for the flavors to blend. Add meat, Marinate in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for at least 24 -36 hours., I prefer using gallon Ziploc Bags, today I had none.

8080284179_e83b9d02a5_z.jpg

• I will sometimes use my Vacuum Seal canisters.
8080298764_4d6e3a6a49_z.jpg

• Remove the meat and place on a cooling rack with a pan under neath, Drain the meat and place on paper towels, blot dry and place on a cooling rack, make sure that the meat does not overlap. Crack some fresh black pepper, lightly to the meat.
8080292720_71f58923c7_z.jpg

8080285940_301d4f37df_z.jpg

• Prepare the Smoker or Dehydrator, do not use water in the water pan if using a smoker. Smoke at lowest temp possible, I do not go above 140 degrees, use a propane torch to start the wood smoking or use a smoke generator, such as an AMNPS.
  • SMOKER
8080300715_3ec36bdbac_z.jpg

• NESCO DEHYDRATOR  Nesco Food Dehydrator, FD75-PR Snack Master.
  • If you are using TQ... I DO NOT go by Nesco's temp of 155 degrees, set it on a lower setting, I prefer 120°
8080297326_8b6b66be3b_z.jpg

• Check the texture after about 3 hours, and wait until it's getting leathery before you pull it. Pull it when it’s leathery but not to soft in the middle, it will continue to dry while it is resting. You want a leathery product that will crack like old leather when bent, if it breaks it is too dry.
8080286369_97785abc73_z.jpg

• You want it to crack with the grain but not against the grain. 

8080286257_a7cb07d479_z.jpg

8080285669_e823322d01_z.jpg

Test a piece, but remember, it will taste differently after it has had time to rest overnight, Leave it rest uncovered till the next day then vacuum seal. The flavors change and the texture gets a little drier.
  • Note the pink color, which is caused by the cure, THIS IS SAFE!
8080280648_0bee888abd_z.jpg

When stored in the freezer, thaw in the unopened bag and let it get to room temperature before opening or else condensation can form on the jerky. Let the jerky rest open for a few hours before eating if you want to store on the counter, a loosely closed paper bag or plastic container with air holes poked in it will prevent mold however it will keep drying and becoming brittle.
  • I usuaLly Vac-Seal my jerky.
8080288419_2bac8122d1_z.jpg

General Jerky notes
  • London broil (Top Round), preferred, Flank steak will sometimes be labeled London Broil, London broils is actually a cooking method but for my sanity I will not go into detail, Google it!

• I use 1.5 teaspoon of Morton[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Tender Quick[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] to each 1lb of ground or thin sliced meat 1/4". Morton[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Tender Quick[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] suggests 1 tablespoon per/lb for thin sliced meat at 1/2", but their curing process is for a dry cure and for 1 hour which is different than what is outlined here. This is your decision!
  • The cure time can go for a few days if something prevents you from doing the smoke. Cure at least 24 hours for the jerky.
  • If Tender Quick is used omit all salt in the seasoning, and use soy sauces or any pre-made marinades with salt cautiously.
  • The Morton[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Tender Quick[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] allows you to take your sweet time getting it dried out after smoking without worries of food borne illness.
  • If using a food dehydrator, you can use liquid smoke for a smoky flavor, I do not, set the Dehydrator on 120° maximum. The Nesco manual says 155° but that cooks the meat and the outside gets crusty, if you are using Morton[emoji]174[/emoji] Tender Quick[emoji]174[/emoji] you can dry it at much lower temps. Remember you want to dry it out, not cook it, I prefer 120°.
  • Another good tip is after slicing the meat, lay in a criss cross pattern, a sort of weave, and place in a covered dish then place in the refrigerator overnight. The next day pour off the liquid then place the meat in the cure and refrigerate another 24 hours.
  • Best luck has been with flavoring the outside of the jerky while still wet.
  • I have made lots of Jerky over the years without using cure and had never been ill from it, however after doing a bit of research about the "Danger Zone" , I decided to start using cure.

• Slicing tip: freeze the meat about 2 hours in your freezer before slicing, this will make it easier to slice! Slice the meat against the grain for an easier chew and with the grain for a tougher chew, this is entirely up to you.

• OPTIONAL: Place the meat in an uncovered dish in a criss-cross pattern, place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.Remove from the refrigerator and drain.

Here are a few recipes to toy around with, enjoy!

Honey Barbecue
For 4lbs.
  • 2 tsp coarse grind black pepper
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • ½ tbsp onion powder
  • ½ cup Apple juice
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • ¼ cup Soy Sauce
  • ¼ cup burgundy
  • 1.5 tsp Morton[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Tender Quick[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] per pound of meat.(please read jerky notes about cure)
  • ¼ c. Honey
  • 1 cup Barbecue sauce
Slice the meat to your preferred thickness
Mix all ingredients except the last 2
Place meat in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate for 24 hours.

After 24 hours remove from refrigerator, place meat in a colander remove meat and blot dry.
Brush one side with honey and the other side with Barbecue sauce, crack some pepper on each side and place in smoker or dehydrator.

Pepper Jerky
For 1-1.5lbs.
 ​
  • 1 Tbl. Worcestershire
  • ¼ cup Soy Sauce
  • 3 Tbl. Captain Morgan
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbl coarse grind black pepper
  • 1.5 tsp Morton[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Tender Quick[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] per pound of meat.(please read jerky notes about cure)

Mix all ingredients

After 24 hours remove from refrigerator, place meat in a colander remove meat and crack some pepper on each side and place in smoker or dehydrator.

Spicy Orange
For 1-1.5 lbs.
  • zest from 1 orange
  • Juice from orange
  • 1 tsp orange extract
  • 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ cup Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
  • ¼ cup cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
  • 1.5 tsp Morton[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Tender Quick[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] per pound of meat. (please read jerky notes about cure)
Mix all ingredients.

After 24 hours remove from refrigerator, place meat in a colander remove meat and crack some pepper on each side and place in smoker or dehydrator.

Honey Mustard
For 1-1.5 lbs.
  • ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 heaping teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. Mustard Seed
  • 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp Rosemary
  • 1 tsp coriander
  • 1.5 tsp Morton[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] Tender Quick[sup][emoji]174[/emoji][/sup] per pound of meat. (please read jerky notes about cure)
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ¼ c. Dijon mustard
Mix all ingredients except the last 2

After 24 hours remove from refrigerator, place meat in a colander remove meat and blot dry.
Brush one side with honey and the other side with Dijon mustard, crack some pepper on each side and place in smoker or dehydrator.

Burgundy Jerky
For 1-1.5 lbs.

• 1/4 cup Merlot or burgundy
  • 1/4 red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 brown sugar, if using Dark Brown Sugar omit the molasses
  • 1 Table liquid smoke
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire
  • 3 garlic cloves chopped
  • 3 tbls Molasses, if not using Dark Brown Sugar
  • 1 Teaspoon garlic
  • 1 Teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 Teaspoon red pepper
  • 1 Teaspoon Coarse Black Pepper
Mix all ingredients

Coconut Jerky
For 1-1.5 lbs.

• 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • ½ tsp chili powder
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp coconut extract
  • ½ c. coconut milk
  • 3 Tbsp Malibu coconut rum.
  • 1 cup Pineapple Juice
  • 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
Mix all ingredients

Teriyaki Jerky
For 1-1.5 lbs.

• 1/2 cup of Teriyaki
  • 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
  • 1 cup Pineapple Juice
  • 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
  • 1 Teaspoon Coarse Black Pepper
Mix all ingredients

Thanks, I have a venison loin I need to do something with.

Wow. Reading this I was thinking about learning something knew.  As I kept reading I realized I've read it before and do follow a lot of your tips. Your the reason I have plastic containers with holes in them. I tell every one about the vac paking defrosting and storage tips.  You must be a good teacher for me to remember all that stuff.

Which do you enjoy more, out of the smoker or dehydrator?  I just received a dehydrator as a gift and I am anxious to try jerky and I don't think my smoker (electric pellet) will go below 180.  I love the recipes shown. 

Last edited:

Which do you enjoy more, out of the smoker or dehydrator?  I just received a dehydrator as a gift and I am anxious to try jerky and I don't think my smoker (electric pellet) will go below 180.  I love the recipes shown. 

I prefer the flavor of the smoker but the dehydrator will hold a lot more.

Happy smoken.

David
Its been a long tome since I made Jerky, My last batch out of the smoker was oversmoked, If the smoke is subtle I like the smoker better, for ease of use I prefer the dehydrator.

There's always Liquid smoke too.

My next batch I may cold smoke with my AMNPS then dehydrate, I will post an update.

Wow. Reading this I was thinking about learning something knew.  As I kept reading I realized I've read it before and do follow a lot of your tips. Your the reason I have plastic containers with holes in them. I tell every one about the vac paking defrosting and storage tips.  You must be a good teacher for me to remember all that stuff.
Thank you Kindly, that statement makes this all worthwhile.

What temperature are you holding when you are smoking your jerky? I keep getting different temps for different recipes.

SQWIBI have some jerky marinating for a smoke tomorrow. It is my 1st time using an other than store bought cure package. I sat down to confirm my time/temperature plans for the morning and came across this post. Ironically the marinades I have going are teriyaki jerky and pepper jerky which I had copied from your earlier post to my “to do” journal! Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge.

SQWIB I have some jerky marinating for a smoke tomorrow. It is my 1st time using an other than store bought cure package. I sat down to confirm my time/temperature plans for the morning and came across this post. Ironically the marinades I have going are teriyaki jerky and pepper jerky which I had copied from your earlier post to my “to do” journal! Thank you for sharing all of your knowledge.
Awesome, make sure to report back, would love to hear how everything came out.

I'm getting ready to make some jerky with these recipes using the 1.5 teaspoons of tender quick per pound.  

Assuming I dried the jerky sufficiently, would the jerky be shelf stable for a few months?  Or would it need the 1 tablespoon per pound ratio to be shelf stable?

Thanks from a jerky noob.

Also a quick follow up question....

I made the recipe for Honey BBQ, teryaki, and pepper jerky (each in 1-1.5 lbs quantity (adjusted down for honey bbq).  There is so much more liquid for the teryaki marinade vs the other two.  

Why is that?  Won't the amount of liquid dilute the action of the tenderquick since there is so much more volume in there to reduce the concentration?

Last edited:
Well I had to make a decision...

I wound up pouring out about 2/3 of the teryaki marinade so the quantity of liquid was more like the other two.  It was either that or bumping up the TQ.  Pouring off liquid seemed like the smarter play.  

We bought a Nesco around Christmas. We did ground sirloin meat sticks (flats) the first time, and the 2nd time we did ground turkey stcks (flats).  The turkey shriveled up way less, and had a milder flavor, but I think I did it a little too long.  When using a ground meat, how should it be on texture?  how to tell when it is done?   same bending and cracking, but not breaking?  or........?

thanks, 

JJ

Also am getting some pineapple and banana to do this weekends also

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky