Spur of the moment brisket flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jirodriguez

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2009
Portland, OR
So over Labor Day weekend my sister got married, her husband comes from a large Mexican family and for the meat for the wedding they raised and slaughtered a cow. They made huge pots of Birria (which is heaven in a pot!), I ended up spending most of the weekend wrageling the kitchen crew and doing dishes since they didn't have a caterer.

My reward was delivered to me this last Wed., one of the brisket flats from that cow (his name was Chaco). I put it in the fridge to thaw, and decided to get it on the smoker today. Since it was a trimmed full flat, it didn't have a fat cap and was fairly thin, and I knew I needed to watch out for it drying up.

I decided to rub it down with a big flavorfull rub: brown sugar (for bark), lots of black pepper, salt, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, dry mustard, cayane powder, a pinch of sage, and a little bit of cumin. Then to make sure I got a nice coating I slathered the brisket with a thin layer of yellow mustard and loaded it with as much rub as it would hold.

Since it is jus the flat I am running my WSM at a lower temp., about 190-200° so I don't cook the moisture out of it. I have some mesquite in there for flavor, and am running it low and slow. Here is a shot about 4 hrs. in:

9971f242_IMG_1255.jpg

.... oh and to top it off I only have about half the charcoal I need... lol. So my plan is to run it as long as I can with the charcoal I got, then when I can't maintain temps in the smoker I'll finish it off in the oven.
redface.gif

icon_cool.gif

It sounds like a good idea. So how did it turn out???? Lets see ole chaco

Last edited:
Looking great so far!  Congrats to your sister, sounds like you had a busy time getting all the food together for the wedding.  

Well it's a littler later than the next "morning"... lol, but here are some more pics. I was able to keep the brisket in the smoker for 6 hrs. before my mix of briquets and lump couldn't keep the temps up and I had to transfer to the oven. So I tossed it into a 200° oven for another 6 hrs. and took it to 205° internal temp, pulled it wrapped it in foil and tossed it in the fridge (it was 2 AM.. lol). Gonna reheat it for dinner tonight.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

0f16c618_IMG_1256.jpg

(a little piece accidently "fell off" so I had to eat it... lol)

7f084f1c_IMG_1257.jpg

You sure got beautiful color and a killer ring on that brisket.  Your rub is a lot like what I use most of the time, I like it on the spicy side.  yay for northwestern smokers! (I've got a butt and two chucks in right now - RAINY day doesn't affect the CSE). It poured up here in Seattle last night and this morning-hope you weren't getting drenched during your efforts.

You sure got beautiful color and a killer ring on that brisket.  Your rub is a lot like what I use most of the time, I like it on the spicy side.  yay for northwestern smokers! (I've got a butt and two chucks in right now - RAINY day doesn't affect the CSE). It poured up here in Seattle last night and this morning-hope you weren't getting drenched during your efforts.
Nah... in true NW fashion I have a covered section on my deck, so I can smoke year round in our "liquid sunshine". We didn't get any downpours here in Portland, but we did get the lovely NW non-stop mist that we all know and love... lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky