Spray?? Mop??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rollingthunder

Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Im new to smoking and am just trying to catch up. What and when to spray or mop
and
what to use for spray or mop :?:

hey jon. i replied to your post in "roll call" before i saw this one. have you read this thread? http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1639
there is some good info there. i make my mop out of apple juice, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, ground black pepper, onion powder, and brown sugar. sometimes i use chili powder instead of the cayenne pepper, depends on if my kids are here or not. as for when to mop, read the "basic brisket smoke" thread i linked above. it is a sticky at the top of this section.

Howdy again,

I spray every meat that I smoke (except meatloaf) with a mix of 3 parts apple juice and 1 part bourbon. I spray every 45 mins to an hour, when I need to add wood chunks to keep up the smoke. The sugars in the mix carmelize, turn brown, and add to the "bark" on the outside of the meat, especially pork butts and briskets.

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky